Sign in to follow this  
abovetimberline

help in new mexico

hello, everyone. I wished I had known about this website before now. I need help in deciding to hunt unit 23 second hunt. I used to live in albuquerque and have hunted unit 27 but know nothing about unit 23. I live in N. Utah and want to know what my chances are of taking a good buck the second hunt. With my problem of being able to get off work and the gas prices, is it worth my time to drive to and hunt unit 23? the second weekend was my third choice and I'm not sure if it was even worth the draw with so many hunters there the week before and as many hunters on the second hunt. please get back, thanks.

I have never been over there but my opinion is that if you have the tag why waste it. Get out there as much as you can because you never know what you are gonna find.

It's a little hard to say how the hunts will go this year since this is the first year they've gone to a draw. Typically the hunting hasn't been that great and it might not be this year either until the pressure backs off for a year or two. I have that tag and will be out scouring the area for a buck. I'm only 16 miles from NM so it's nearly in my backyard. I wouldn't want to miss a hunting oportunity of course it's a pretty good drive from where you are. Don't know what else to tell you.

Scott

That is a tough one Timber. This will be the first 23 hunt for me. I am from Tucson and have spent a lot of time in the truck the past month driving back and forth to NM (not to mention gas money). My buddy and I have scouted a lot of places and sometimes we see deer and sometimes we don't. We are crossing our fingers that there won't be other hunters in the spots we have seen deer in but we will not know until 11/5. CB

I killed a deer last year in unit 23. It was a small 3 x 3 w/out eye gards. There is a pretty decent population of Deer just outside of Pinos Altos.

If you do go chances are you won't see a lot of deer. Especially compared to Utah. Deer numbers are pretty low in this unit but the genetics tend to be very good. I've personally gone several days without seeing any deer at all.

Good luck!

Hey Bhawk......

I agree with crazy on this one!! I wouldn't be spreading that one around too much. Just be glad we don't run into game officers much in this part of the country, because around P.A. surely is 24. Unit 23 runs on south and west side of HWY 180. You were about 10 miles too far north!! :huh: