Sign in to follow this  
josh

4 and 5 year old go bobcat hunting

So today after church and running errands the boys wanted to go callin again after our success yesterday. We set out to an area I had called twice last season. I made two stands in this area calling in the first time a yote and the second time a bobcat that came up from behind me and stopped 2 ft from my left shoulder which made it impossible to shoot. It got a pass. Well today after two stands and a couple wound up boys we had time for one last stand. There was a hill full of boulders that I was telling the boys we need to call. So we set up and started the stand about 5 minutes in my youngest boy starts crying about some dirt in his eye. I was standing with my shooting sticks so I set them down to help him with his eye. I figured the stand was shot because of the noise and movement but I switched the sound after I kneeled next to him and instantly I see a bobcat pop out of the bushes coming in nice. I shouldered the .17 fireball and was super steady without the stix and made a 75 yard shot and the cat went down. It was high fives all around.

It was a great weekend!

113_0837.jpg

113_0839.jpg

That's great! How have you helped your kids to learn to hold still? My oldest is 4 1/2, and I'm excited to get out there with him ASAP. Awesome!

All I can say is take them. You have to go out with the idea you will probably see nothing because when they are this old it is real tough to sit still. I put ear muffs on them then a mesh face mask over there heads. And as much camo as you can get them to wear.Good Luck!

All I can say is take them. You have to go out with the idea you will probably see nothing because when they are this old it is real tough to sit still. I put ear muffs on them then a mesh face mask over there heads. And as much camo as you can get them to wear.Good Luck!

Yeah, I think your right. Just gettin them out there is the main thing. I think to much like a typical parent sometimes and worry about snakes, predators gettin to close for comfort, etc, but I guess you cant keep them in a bubble!

That is just awesome how happy they are. The pic of them holding up the cat is priceless. Im sure they told everyone at school about the bobcat they killed ;)

Yeah, I think your right. Just gettin them out there is the main thing. I think to much like a typical parent sometimes and worry about snakes, predators gettin to close for comfort, etc, but I guess you cant keep them in a bubble!

Thats the point of the hunt, and what the shotgun is for ;)