Sign in to follow this  

elk chronicles

So is it better to recover the antlers or the meat? Chompy your scenerio of the four hunters is ridiculous. If you make a proper shot. There is no reason to wait. It is pretty easy to tell if it is a proper shot. I have a suspicion that the recovered bulls were shot properly and could of been recovered at night. The other two were not shot properly and then you said it rained before light. Low odds either way. 13 must be a good unit. Let me write that down.

E-scouter.

it doesn't have to be a dvd - this yr in unit 8 - last saturday- i was in Safeway - saw a family camo'd out- we talked elk- the daughter had takin a shot 40 yrds in the twilght of shooting hrs. Dad states - yep a solid double lung - we saw the fletching just sticking out - full penatration - It's like 8 o'clock -

I'm like what the heck are you doing in here - dad replys well - I thought we should wait till morning cuz i dont want to go stumblin around in the dark - !

And besdies its plenty cold outside for the meat to still be ok by morning - it was 45* out

I tried to briefly explain the importance of recovering the animal - especially if you are positive it was a kill shot-

She had been stitting a tank and we know how they come in at the last minute! it couldn't/shouldn't have gone too far

they just drove off!- go figure -

figured they wanted to get pics of her first bull!

Ill shot an Elk up to the end of leagal shooting light because it is leagal and if I hit it good Iwill give it a little longer than I would one shot in the morning if its a bad shot then I would wait for first light to get after it. Ive shot 2 Bulls right at dark and waited till morning to recover both and I didnt loose any meat. If I would have went after one of them I would have pushed him out of the country and never recovered him wasting all the meat. As hunters we have to make decisions and if we make poor ones due to lazyness thats wrong, you owe it to that animal to recover it regardless. A friend of mine burried an arrow to the fletches behind the shoulders of a Bull last year in the morning and never recovered him so it does happen and it is part hunting but a good effort needs to be made. I thinkalot more animals are wounded and not recovered by rifle hunters every year and a whole lot more of them die.

Mark

it doesn't have to be a dvd - this yr in unit 8 - last saturday- i was in Safeway - saw a family camo'd out- we talked elk- the daughter had takin a shot 40 yrds in the twilght of shooting hrs. Dad states - yep a solid double lung - we saw the fletching just sticking out - full penatration - It's like 8 o'clock -

I'm like what the heck are you doing in here - dad replys well - I thought we should wait till morning cuz i dont want to go stumblin around in the dark - !

And besdies its plenty cold outside for the meat to still be ok by morning - it was 45* out

I tried to briefly explain the importance of recovering the animal - especially if you are positive it was a kill shot-

She had been stitting a tank and we know how they come in at the last minute! it couldn't/shouldn't have gone too far

they just drove off!- go figure -

figured they wanted to get pics of her first bull!

A few years ago my friend and I had the Nov ML'er elk tag in unit 6A. One afternoon we went to Clints Wells to get some gas and there was a family there that had a flat bed trailer loaded with two WHOLE elk. Guts and all. And headed to the valley. There was a refrigerated meat truck at Clints Well, but they would not gut the elk for them. yahoos didn't want to or know how to even get the guts out. It's a miracle they knew which end of the gun the bullets exit from. I swear there were 10,000 flies on each elk. Yummy.

A few years ago my friend and I had the Nov ML'er elk tag in unit 6A. One afternoon we went to Clints Wells to get some gas and there was a family there that had a flat bed trailer loaded with two WHOLE elk. Guts and all. And headed to the valley. There was a refrigerated meat truck at Clints Well, but they would not gut the elk for them. yahoos didn't want to or know how to even get the guts out. It's a miracle they knew which end of the gun the bullets exit from. I swear there were 10,000 flies on each elk. Yum!

DB.

You have to give them credit for the ability to load whole elk. Could you imagine if one was just 100 yards from the trailer. Wow that is impressive.

Bob

Bobbyo you must be a professional hunter who has always made good shots and has always found every bull right away, all those guys i mentioned were actually guides and outfitters hunting together before the clients started on the 10th. I think they have an idea of what their doing, all I was saying is if your not sure where you hit it might be safe to wait till morning, as in the case of the show it was on video so they could have looked at it and determined what to do . I do agree with everyone that they waited on the show so they can take pictures and show them recovering the bull and that's a bunch of bs, those shows are ruining hunting and that ain't right. Oh and 13 is good where I hunt it borders the Double h ranch, last year was tough though, Cameron hanes hunted the double h and shot a 280 bull (even though they said they only harvest 350 bulls or better) this year however the antler growth is awesome

Though I agree on most of what has been said (minus the not shooting towards the end of day) I sure hope the anti-hunters do NOT read these articles cuz next thing you know all of you will be on a national magazine or television show called something like Treehugger.com as witness to the fact we shouldn't allow hunting in the United States. Just saying...

+1

Bobbyo you must be a professional hunter who has always made good shots and has always found every bull right away, all those guys i mentioned were actually guides and outfitters hunting together before the clients started on the 10th. I think they have an idea of what their doing, all I was saying is if your not sure where you hit it might be safe to wait till morning, as in the case of the show it was on video so they could have looked at it and determined what to do . I do agree with everyone that they waited on the show so they can take pictures and show them recovering the bull and that's a bunch of bs, those shows are ruining hunting and that ain't right. Oh and 13 is good where I hunt it borders the Double h ranch, last year was tough though, Cameron hanes hunted the double h and shot a 280 bull (even though they said they only harvest 350 bulls or better) this year however the antler growth is awesome

Chompy all Apologies, My post came off wrong. I was just trying to say that each elk kill is independent and needs to be assessed on its own. You can't really say in hunting that one action is ALWAYS right and one is always wrong. In addition when i say a person can easily tell it is a good hit I definitely don't mean from the shooters perspective which is very distorted in the excitement. I mean from the evidence on the ground added to the shooters perception of the hit. If you have video evidence like they did on the show all the better. You know as well as i do. A double lunged elk is dead with in a couple minutes. Why wait 12 hours to recover it?Of coarse you are right about waiting on marginal hits, but a rainstorm puts it in a dicey situation either way. By the way we give Cameron sh-- all the time about his $10,000 dink.

Bob