Sign in to follow this  
MangeyJoe

Ammunition

What kind the manufacturer of your 30-06?

my 30.06 really woke up when I changed from core-lok to horniday ammo. I was like you, all over the paper. With the premium ammo, I was able to be dead on at 200 even shooting freehand.

I like Hornady interbonds. My 7mag shoots them really well.

I agree that is what i use also for my .300 win

Accuracy-wise, most of my guns like the CT (Winchester/Nosler) ballistic tips. Great for deer - especially coues, but too explosive for elk and maybe even big muleys. Nosler accubonds are probably a better choice for heavier game, and seem to fly really well. As others have mentioned, it really depends on the gun. Some just seem to like certain bullets. Haven't shot the Hornady interbond, but Hornady always makes great bullets, so it's definately one to try.

That's why I love reloading so much. You can try out lots of bullet/powder combos until you find the one your gun likes - without breaking the bank.

You really need to buy a few different boxes of some different cartridges and try them at the range on a bench rest. I have a .270 win also, and tried quite a few "premium" rounds. It seems like the more expensive they are, the worse they shoot in my gun. After trying probably 5 different brands, the Remington Core-Lokt from Wal Mart, less than $20 a box shot better than any other I tried. We're talking 3 shot group less than 1.5" MOA at 200 yards.

Nick

I had a Ruger M77 .270 Win before I switched over to my .270 WSM. I was shooting 130 grain reloads, Hornaday Spirepoint Interlocks. I harvested elk, md deer, COUES deer, pronghorn, black bear, javelina, coyotes, and almost a mt. lion, haha. Got too excited.

When I got my short mag, I bought all the stuff to reload and a buddy convinced me to try the Win Ballistic Silvertips. I wouldn't have believed a factory bullet could shoot so well. I am shooting 130 grain WBST bullets and I am shooting a 1/2 inch group at 500 yards.

post-673-1284675998.jpg

The only thing that knows what the best load is, your rifle. And the only shot that matters for hunting is the first shot out of a cold barrel.

Mister Monstercoues, You can't just shoot alot of holes in the target, pick the closest three, and put tape on the others. LOL :lol: