Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

My new Coyote Mount

I started weighing them a long time ago just for fun. I keep hearing about all these 50 and 60lb coyotes, but I have yet to kill one. Out of more than 50 coyotes 38lbs is the biggest so far.

interesting Thank you its funny all the yotes i have shot have fallin somewhere i couldnt get to them at (4). Hopefully this year ill get one i get can to, i thnk it would be cool just to have the hide done and put on the wall.

Tyler

There are no 50-60 pound coyotes in AZ. Anyone who tells you otherwise has a broken scale or is outright lying. Of the 19 recognized coyote sub species, C. l. mearnsi (Merriam): Mearns Coyote, Arizona's is on the smaller end. 15 to 25 pounds on average. Anything is the 35-40 pound range is in the top 5% of our state and has a winter pelt and a belly full of dinner probably.

On topic- mount looks nice. Large well developed skull with good markings. Ears are kinda tall but if interested in something specific its not abnormal to see a coyote with its radars at full attention. What does a mount like that cost?

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sugesting that we have 50lb coyotes, I was just saying I hear people say they kill them all the time, and that is what made me curious. All of mine range from 15 at the smallest to 38 at the largest. Average I would think is 25lbs. The picture I used for the taxidermist to use as a reference was of an alert coyote. Several people have said he looks too "surprised", but to me he looks pretty natural. I guess i see a lot of surprised coyotes. At any rate... I am happy with it, and that is what matters.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

There are no 50-60 pound coyotes in AZ. Anyone who tells you otherwise has a broken scale or is outright lying. Of the 19 recognized coyote sub species, C. l. mearnsi (Merriam): Mearns Coyote, Arizona's is on the smaller end. 15 to 25 pounds on average. Anything is the 35-40 pound range is in the top 5% of our state and has a winter pelt and a belly full of dinner probably.

On topic- mount looks nice. Large well developed skull with good markings. Ears are kinda tall but if interested in something specific its not abnormal to see a coyote with its radars at full attention. What does a mount like that cost?

A W E S O M E mount!! Who's the taxidermist?

On the coyots........I took one that was 45 pounds here in AZ. It took 3 shots of a 22 Mag! First shot was about 10 yards (frontal shot) right on his chest; 300 yards later 2 more shots about 30 yards away right behind the shoulder and he just kept going! I was about to make the 4th shot on his head when he droped. Since that very day, I started using my 222 Rem. for coyotes.

Also, I hope Josh is reading this.....Josh how heavy was the coyote you shot last year in Mexico? That's got to be one of the biggest and heaviest coyotes I have ever seen! Josh is tall and strong and he had a hard time lifting the coyot from the ground. He tried to hold the coyot with one hand so I can take the picture he could not do it.

Ernesto C

Hey wait a second Ernesto you forgot how strong I am. :lol:

This was a big old male.Probably one of the bigger dogs I shot last year but far from a fifty pounder. Would have loved to take this pelt back home.

Thanks Ernesto! Actually the Taxidermist is my wife. She is just starting out, and hasn't done a lot of mounts yet. Some are better than others, but for some reason I really like this one, so I kept him in my den. Do you have any pics of that 45 pounder? That is a whopper for an Az yote! When I skinned this one he had lots of fat on him, which made him harder to flesh and mount.

Here are a couple of pics of this one when I called him in.

DSC01607.jpg

DSC01606.jpg

A W E S O M E mount!! Who's the taxidermist?

On the coyots........I took one that was 45 pounds here in AZ. It took 3 shots of a 22 Mag! First shot was about 10 yards (frontal shot) right on his chest; 300 yards later 2 more shots about 30 yards away right behind the shoulder and he just kept going! I was about to make the 4th shot on his head when he droped. Since that very day, I started using my 222 Rem. for coyotes.

Also, I hope Josh is reading this.....Josh how heavy was the coyote you shot last year in Mexico? That's got to be one of the biggest and heaviest coyotes I have ever seen! Josh is tall and strong and he had a hard time lifting the coyot from the . He tried to hold the coyot with one hand so I can take the picture he could not do it.

Ernesto C

Unfortunally did not had the camera with me that time. I remember that day very well cause it was my birth day; that coyote was my second birthday present of the day, the first one was a sheriff officer letting me walk away when he caught me driving 64 mph or a 50 mile zone. He told me "well Mr. Cibrian, I'm not going to ruin your birth day...just drive more carefully" and good luck on your coyot hunt. God bless that sheriff officer :)

Back to the coyot, it was a male and also one of the darkest coyots I have ever shot too.

The ranch Josh and I hunt in Mexico is easy, very easy to call up to 4 coyotes in one stand and several times a day...heck, Josh shot a coyote and a bob cat in the same stand, that place is ubelievable for predators.

If your wife is your taxidermist man.....what a lucky guy you are! treat her good :) she's doing really good, congratulate her for a perfect coyot mount.

Ernesto C

Those 50 lb. coyotes were shot weighing 30 lbs and gained weight every step it needed hauled out! ;)

Those 50 lb. coyotes were shot weighing 30 lbs and gained weight every step it needed hauled out! ;)

Now that's 100% true. After the 200 yard walk back to the truck I'd swear that thing weighted 50 pounds.

.22 mag for a coyote? Thinking you'll harvest coyotes effectively and consistently with that is like thinking you can dig a swimming pool with a spoon. Hopefully that's was a 1 time deal.

Here is a coyote taken a few years ago. Largest I have shot. 33 pounds and we had a scale. 12 GA #4 buck from 10 feet.

13c.jpg

In 4 years of participating in the Arizona Multi-Club Predator Club Hunt (about 100-125 contestants) the biggest coyote was last year. Mike Burris shot a 40 pound brute with a .17 Remington. 1 shot in the vitals and it went down hard. Picture below. Coyote closest to the camera. Thing was all neck as yoou can see. That's not flabby skin but thick all the way around the neck. Real weird body structure from shoulders up.

1_17b.jpg

2 years ago at the Multi-club hunt I shot a coyote that was 33 pounds and was missing a leg. With the other hind leg maybe 34 or 35? Cat in picture we also shot. 25 pound big male cat. Don't let people tell you about their 35 pound AZ bobcat. Tall tales. Both these shot with 12 GA #4 buck.

1_17a.jpg

I still will say in Arizona coyotes above 40 pounds are few and far between. Most saying they've shot one are exaggerating and cant prove anything when it comes with down to it. I have seen just a few 40 pounders and as I said, winter coat and bellies full of a fresh kill.

post-866-1280531395_thumb.jpg

Look at Josh grimace and strain holding that 30 pounder. He's trying to look nonchalant but I bet he dropped that and started panting when the flash went off. :)

I once witnessed Josh shoot a coyote at about 250 yards up a mountain with that 22/250. Heck of a shot. That the same rifle? Looks like it.