coues7

question about tripods

When a manufacturer gives a maximum load rating, what exactly are they referring to? Is it simply straight forward: "if you put more than this you'll break the tripod" or does it have to do with something else? I'm looking at a Slik Pro 614 CF tripod and it's rated at 6.6 lbs. I will be shooting of of the tripod. And my rig weights 12.5 lbs.

Scott

If you are going to shoot off a tripod that is rated a 6.6 lbs, you are going to have considerable flex in the legs. You can do it, but you will have to learn how to "load" the legs so that they don't wobble too much. You won't break the tripod. I think it has to do with that amount of movement that is allowed and what the locks will support. I tripod rated at 6.6 lbs is pretty light duty. Even the Manfrotto 190 series are 8 lb tripods. I thought they were a little too flimsy. BUT- it will still be a lot better than not using it!

I have been shooting off the slik sprint pro and cannot even tell you what the poundage rating is. Anyway my thought is this. You arent putting all the gun weight on the tripod anyway, you are holding the stock and the forearm is resting on the tripod ( I have a rubber V mounted on the tripo) and therefore it is only holding 50-60% of the guns total weight I believe so you shouldnt have a problem if the legs are set so the tripod doesnt tilt..........Allen............

I'm sure that the rating is at full extension. If you are going to have it fully extended you certainly will have some flexing going on. However, if you will be sitting down you should be fine. IMHO The Slik Carbon fiber tripods are the best value in lightweight tripods on the market today. I have the 713 pro and absolutely love it. I shoot off of it all the time. Even at full extention. You'd probably be more stable with the 613 since it has 3 legs verses 4 legs on the 614.

Often the tripod rating means the weight of camera and lens it can support without vibration that ruins images, and is not the max load bearing capacity of the tripod before it collapses.