dillon_camo

When to upgrade?

I am just curious how long everyone waits to upgrade to better bow. What are the reasons?

I know some guys buy the latest and greatest every year. I've been happy with my Switchback XT for the last 4 years.

I have been happy with my switchback LD. It is very forgiving and fast enough for me. I cant say that I have never thought about buying a different Bow. I just cant think of a good enough reason to justify it.

I have been archery hunting for about 4 yrs now and the the first bow I bought was kind of just a trial bow didn't want to spend a lot of cash on the first. I now have my 2nd bow that I bought after 2 yrs and I dont see buying another one anytime soon. If I could afford one I would buy another one, those new Hoyt's are nice.

ive had my elite e-force for the last 4 years and dont plan on selling that one ever!!! best dhooting bow ive ever had but I also have 2 other bows one I won this last weekend (also an elite) and the other a martin ( picked up at a rediculous price) sure would like one of those strother bows! not really a matter of needing to upgrade its a matter of wanting to!

I'd like to up grade every other year... if there is better equipment. I seem to upgrade about every 5 years and have never stayed with one brand longer than 10-12... Gotta go where I feel the best gear is. ;)

I'm one of THOSE guys :P . I usually buy at least one, maybe two of the newest trick bows a year. I dont have many other vices, so I can get away with it. I just love playing with new gear!

Only when your equipment starts causing issues for you in the field. The Switchback is an iconic bow, IMO. Probably the best bow Mathews ever put out, and my first Mathews was a Conquest Light, which I'd also rank up there with a few bows that were obviously advanced for their time.

I'm now shooting a 2005 Bowtech Allegiance, and while they have put out some good new bows in the last few years, like the Mathews Switchback, most of the newer offerings have been less of improvements, than experiments in new technologies. If you've got a bow that shoots well for you now, there's no reason to plop down another grand for something that may be the next best thing, it's probably premature to take on a new bow that might be the next bow dropped from their line.

There's about a zillion used 82nd Airborne bows for sale on the various sites, along with Mathews Monsters, etc. But the bows people regret ever selling to have the next new thing are the Bowtech Allegiance, and Mathews Switchback. Funny that way. I guess if you are into bowhunting tecnhology, it's prudent to try out the newest thing each year, but of all the offerings from the biggest names, only a couple will stick around as the building blocks for their next "best of breed" bow.

I am really interested in shooting the Hoyt Maxxis, Bowtech Destroyer and Mathews Z7, just to see if there is really an noticable improvement over the older bows.

For me, chasing new technologies in bows/arrows/broadheads is not something I want to be an "early adopter" type of consumer. There are plenty of great offerings out there that can outperform my shooting abilities. I just want to find what's comfortable and makes me feel confident in the field that where I aim is where I'll hit. The rest is just marketing hoopla.

Not to take the thread off track, but I've found the best performing broadheads on game to be Muzzy 100 grain, 3 blade broadheads. They run about half of what the so-called premium heads cost, and I've bought them all. I've got G5 Montecs, Montec SS, Magnus Stingers and BuzzCuts, Slick Tricks (which fly awesome), G5 Strikers - which are really just "Wac'em" clones - the most "cloned" broadhead out there, a few expandables I haven't taken to the field yet because I don't trust them.

I have NEVER lost a hit animal with the basic 100 grain, 3 blade muzzy that you can pick up at WalMart for $17 a 3 pack, and I killed a nice coues and nice muley last year with them. They fly exactly like all other broadheads I practice with, but they have an amazing ability to kill everything they touch, and do it quickly. Not sure why, but short bloodtrails speak for themselves.

Lost game is the worst possible thing that we deal with, IMO, and when you have a bow that you aren't confident in, or broadheads you aren't condfident in, you might just be crawling hands-and-knees looking for one more blood spot, and that is an ugly feeling.

Thanks everyone who has commented. I was wondering if the new binary cams are worth all the hype. It seems from the comments that if it works for you then dont change. The single cam bow I have right now just doesn't seem to be enough.