we do alot of spot n stalk and definately see alot more action in the Dec. - Jan. hunts.

in the early archery hunt we see alot of smaller bucks but by Oct. the big boys start comming out of the woods... so to speak.

I believe scouting as much as possible has alot to do with success in any hunt.

James

I like any hunt I can get, doesn't matter if it's early or late! But, I can guarantee myself an early tag every year and I would rather hunt every year in Oct. rather than waiting between tags for Dec. hunts. Sure it's cooler, has less pressure and extra time on the Dec. hunts, but you can kill the same deer in Oct if your willing to put up with some heat and pressure. One thing that I like about the Oct. hunts is those factors, heat and pressure, that can be used to your benefit. Both factors will narrow down where you need to look for a good buck. In Dec. they can and will be anywhere, sometimes with no rhyme or reason and sometimes they won't stay long. In Oct. they will spend most of the day on the shady side of a hill or down in a low pressure pocket, and best of all they usually have buddies! So, when you find one in Oct. you will probably have several bucks to choose from!

I've got areas where in Oct. I know right where to look to find bucks and where not to look because it's a waste of time. When I go to that same area in late Dec. I have to look everywhere to try and find the same deer that I previously had concentrated in Oct. I'll take all the Oct. tags I can get ;)

+1 Jim - luv dem early hunts-- but still have a feeling I'm missing the dec action...stronger though is my fear that I won't get drawn and not go hunting at all, early hunts for me! But just once I wanna see some Deer doing the Wah-toosie and Two bucks in a brawl. Far fetched in oct-nov. So innocent and pure just makin scrapes/rubs, sleeping, eating and watering...I wanna know I killed The womanizer and bully on the block...ohh well, we can watch Discovery channel and watch does playing hard to get after the annual early hunt were allmost sure to go on and with a little homework possibly get a buck just the same ;) I'll shut up now before I turn my 80-100% daw odd hunts to 50%

Not!! Heres why I like Early Coues the most. I killed two bucks on my two early WT tags, one a 117in- the other a second to last day forkie,Clean missed a Big one (110ish), passed on a neck shot at another biggun and missed my shot opp. at a rival WR ML buck( 130ish), this on a 30ft circle of ground at a very critical point on the rim of a wash, sitting150-220yds out on the same rocks both hunts ....I plan on hunting that same patch of dirt this year. Love the predictability of deer sometimes, or call it coincidence if you'd rather. I guess patterning the does and watching them till the buck is in tail or watching random areas for wandering bucks every few years is just the same and more exciting in cooler weather, maybe- maybe not? Haven't tried it yet.

G&F should give first dibs on tags to CW.com members anyway <_< ... they do that and I'll apply for Dec tag knowing I'm going Coues hunting in AZ. Otherwise I'd be in deep depression- in a tagless daze- most likely when putting in for Dec.

So I'll apply for the Oct/Nov and know I'm allmost guaranteed a tag/hunt. Maybe to with any "luck", another buck on the wall for the year.

Ohh darn, with that confidence now I'm not drawing or killing :unsure: , I take it all back!! JK, Odds are it will work out, but if it don't............Just BAD luck....hahaha, ok it's my day off, can you guys tell, plenty of time to write.....But no really, I'll shut up now. :wacko: Go mow the lawn or somethin, and dream of a tag-hunt-and maybe a new buck........ this topic seems annual, my 2 cents again is all...Happy hunting and good luck on the draw everyone.