Sign in to follow this  
azhunter85

wtb rifle

I need some input or help on finding a youth rifle, caliber 270. Just having a hard time finding youth rifles that could be used for deer and elk. Thanks for any help. OK I guess I didn't write this how I intended to. Thanks for the input, I know what caliber and have ideas on which one we will get. I need help on finding where to buy the rifle. Or what stores even sell youth models so u can go check them out. Thx

Do you reload? If so, you might consider a .270 WSM. You can handload some very low recoil rounds for practice, moderate ones for deer/antelope and hot ones for elk. That's what my boys will be using for their cow elk hunts this fall.

Most "Youth" rifles are going to be short action. Just get a .270 that you like and have the stock replaced or cut down. I would opt for a new stock so that you can save the original for when he grows into it.

My wife recently got into hunting, after speaking with a few people we ended up buying a .308 and it does the trick just fine. My 8 year old son shoots it as well.

My son started with a youth model .308 also. Enough gun to kill anything

Remington Model 7's are great guns period! I might try to hunt one down in .243 as a coyote rig when not carrying the AR!

www.budsgunshop.com

www.impactguns.com

www.gunbroker.com

www.galleryofguns.com

Best places I have found..

This subject has been covered before..many times. I had a remington 700 ADL in .308 set up for my son when he was 9. I just cut the factory stock down to his size. I also opted to have a muzzle brake installed, although, I'm not sure if this was a great idea or not. At that age, I think he had more fear of the noise than the recoil. Anyway...when he turned 14 or so I just purchased an un-cut stock for next to nothing online and he was good to go. He is 19 and still using the same rifle. He has made several one shot clean kills with it in excess of 300 yards, including an elk and WT at age 10. It looks like a cousin may get her first opportunity with it this year with a Jr. cow tag, not sure what stock she will use though, we'll have to see how it fits her.

This subject has been covered before..many times. I had a remington 700 ADL in .308 set up for my son when he was 9. I just cut the factory stock down to his size. I also opted to have a muzzle brake installed, although, I'm not sure if this was a great idea or not. At that age, I think he had more fear of the noise than the recoil. Anyway...when he turned 14 or so I just purchased an un-cut stock for next to nothing online and he was good to go. He is 19 and still using the same rifle. He has made several one shot clean kills with it in excess of 300 yards, including an elk and WT at age 10. It looks like a cousin may get her first opportunity with it this year with a Jr. cow tag, not sure what stock she will use though, we'll have to see how it fits her.

You coming to the grand opening Rex?

Drag that 803 nut with you.

You coming to the grand opening Rex?

Drag that 803 nut with you.

I'm definitely going to check things out. I don't think 803 nut is gonna make the trip from Anchorage though :)