Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Canyons on the Moenkopi

I had contemplated going to Lake Powell, but the lack of spring winds decided that this area on the Navajo Rez needed to be taken advantage of. I spent the midday walking arond on various points to see where I would like to be for the evening shoot. Lots of pinnacles, fins, and gulleys to see of various colors. Reminded me a little of Bryce Canyon in Utah.

CoalMineCanyon_087.jpg

CoalMineCanyon_082.jpg

After sunset from the rim-side camp

CoalMineCanyon_108.jpg

In the morning, I walked along the eastern rim. With lots of white, I had difficulty with the exposures and blew out the highlights in many images.

CoalMineCanyon_218.jpg

CoalMineCanyon_138.jpg

With the morning light over, I drove a few miles south to the next canyon of many washes that is wider and with a different composure. This would be a nice morning shoot, but it was already 9 am and the light was getting harsh. The road into the area was through lots of clay, and if wet, the steep hill driving to the canyons would be formidable

HaHoNoGeh_114.jpg

HaHoNoGeh_132.jpg

HaHoNoGeh_119.jpg

HaHoNoGeh_047.jpg

The next canyon to the south on the other side of the road held some promising locations for the evening, so I read and napped midday until the sun descended. This canyon was more like the first canyon in some places with the orangeish fins.

HaHoNoGeh_023.jpg

HaHoNoGeh_107.jpg

HaHoNoGeh_014.jpg

Doug~RR

I always look forward to your picture posts RR. Always top notch photos. Ive always wanted to learn how to use a real camera. Maybe one day if I magicly find the time I will. Untill then I'll keep looking at your photos.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that your photos are great to look at and I'm always looking to see what new ones you have taken. Thanks and don't ever quit posting them. :)

TJ

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Youngbuck, just use your point and shoot on a steady support, use the first and last hours of light, consider your composition and "rule of thirds", and have fun. Most cameras lenses will be sharpest at about f/8, so use aperture priority, not automatic, for landscapes.