Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Theoretical Situation

I have a 7mm Rem Mag and shoot 150 grain bullets in it for WT. for off the shelf, factory ammo, I think you can go as low as 140 grain but only up to 160 grain.

I know the 300 Win Mag is very popular for people that only want one rifle. I personally do not have one.

I have a 300 WSM and know you can get 150 grain on the low end and 180 grain on the upper end.

I know someone who only had a 7mm Rem Mag for years and he would shoot 140 grain for WT and then use 160 grain for elk. never had a problem with either one.

I am a .308 man. When i'm not killing deer with it my brother borrows it and kills elk with it. Great gun proven gun, and ammo abounds.

+1

95% of the critters I have ever harvested have been with the good ol 308 including 2 bull moose one of which was an enormous arctic bull. Bears, moose, caribou, sheep, deer.....it doesnt matter.

Providing that you refuse to kick her to the curb (which I would highly recomend :) ),If she only lets you have one for the rest of your life then barrel life is of major concern. Magnums burn out too quickly IMHO.

That said, the 308 will handle anything this continent has to offer (including elk and the largest of moose) short of very large bears. 200 grain pills for elk and moose and anything from 168 AMAX's to the super high BC 208 amax for couesies. Oh by the way a 308 barrel should last you 5000+ accurate shots if you take care of it properly. You wont even see 1/5th of that out of a super magnum.

If you have kids I would go with the .270lark ! If you don't have kids buy a hundred dollar bus ticket and a gym bag for the new exwife! Haha :lol:

A long time ago I popped into gun store in Sacramento called Brenden's. About this time is when I got married and my wife and moved in together. She made a comment that I had too many guns and didn't need any more. (he he he) Anyway, while at Brenden's a young attractive woman behind the counter offered to show me a Kahr K9. To which I said "Nah, the wife said no more guns" (cut me some slack I was newly married to the love of my life). To which she replied, "that's why you need a girlfriend. You could store all your new toys at her apartment." Sixteen years later, I'm still married; have more guns; and no third party storage :-)

Anyway, all of the aforementioned calibers will work just fine. The T/C is a good option if he can get away with purchasing barrels. It also offers the option of a single shot shotgun/slug gun/muzzle loader. If not, for the money (pennies to performance), I would go with the Savage M16 (Accu-Trigger\Accu-Stock, SS, Weather Warrior $770 NIB) and ammo. The barrel nut design would also make it easier and less expensive to re-barrel in the future. In theory, if this person reloads or had a friend who could reload for him, I would stick with the calibers with the easiest and least expensive components to obtain (i.e. 308/270/30-06).

Just my two cents.

Have a great day

BJ

I thought you were going to say 16 years later she is still my girlfriend........ :lol: :lol:

I will keep my guns, get rid of wife and with 1500 dlls get two new hot mexican senoritas!!

Ernesto C :lol:

Well, I officially went with a Tikka T3 .270 win. I haven’t shot it yet, but it seems pretty dang cool after packing it all around the house. I would still be playing with it right now but my wife made me put it away. . . . I am just kidding with the wife jokes! I am newly married so it is fun for me. I didn’t really need to sell my previous firearms but I felt like something new. My goal is to put some hours in with this gun and to become very confident with it. Then I will be ready to go after whatever I am hunting in this state.

I am thinking about going up to Cabelas tomorrow after work to pick up a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x scope with the Rapid Z 600 recticle. Thanks for all of the posts.

P.S. Are the scope rings that come with the Tikka the way to go, or is there a better option?

The Tikka rings are fine if you want to stay with a 1 inch tube on your scope. On my Tikka I went with a one piece Picatinny Rail because I put a Mark 4 on it. you also can use weaver style rings with it. Here is the link where I bought mine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=412774

I have one brand new if you are interested.

I will keep my guns, get rid of wife and with 1500 dlls get two new hot mexican senoritas!!

Ernesto C :lol:

I want to party with Ernesto. How many can we get if i throw in my 1500 also. :blink: