Sign in to follow this  
coues krazy

tag transfer

Far as I know you can't transfer a tag like that. The only way I know you can is to donate. There a lot of good organizations out there that take donated tags and give them to injured vets, sick children, etc... Check out This organization

he has to under 18 and a dependent of you. just go to a office and do it. My dad gave me his tag a few years ago.

I got this from the web site:

Don’t let your big game tag go to waste if you can’t use it

Are you unable to use your big game tag this fall because of an unexpected change in plans?

You can still put that valuable big game tag to good use. The Arizona Game and Fish Department’s rules allow a couple of options for transferring the tag to give a youngster a thrilling hunting opportunity.

A parent, grandparent, or legal guardian can transfer his/her tag to his/her minor child or grandchild. Or, a tag holder can donate their tag to a qualified nonprofit organization that provides hunting opportunities to children with life-threatening medical conditions.

Here’s how either option works:

Transfer to child:

A parent, grandparent or legal guardian holding a big game tag may allow the use of that tag by their minor child or minor grandchild pursuant to the following requirements:

* The minor child is 10 to 17 years old on the date of transfer;

* The minor child has a vaild hunting or combination license on the date of transfer;

* A minor child less than 14 years old has satisfactorily completed a Department-approved hunter education course by the beginning date of the hunt;

* The parent or guardian must accompany the child in the field or, if a grandparent allows a minor grandchild to use the grandparent’s permit or tag, the grandparent, parent or the child’s guardian must accompany the child in the field. In either case, the adult must be within 50 yards of the child when the animal is taken.

Transfer to nonprofit organization for ill child:

A number of qualified nonprofit organizations are dedicated to providing hunting opportunities to children with illnesses with a wish to go hunting. The Tag Transfer program has given many children a chance to go on a hunt-of-a-lifetime in Arizona during a time of need.

"To a child that has a terminal or chronic illness, an Arizona big game hunt truly can be the "hunt of a lifetime" said Hunt of a Lifetime Ambassador for Arizona and New Mexico, Nate Medcalf. “What better way to make a difference in a child's life?"

To donate your unused big game tag, the following organizations can be contacted to arrange for a donation:

* Catch-A-Dream at http://catchadream.org.

* Hunt of a Lifetime at www.hoalarizona.org.

* Outdoor Experience 4 All at www.outdoorexperienceforall.org.

* United Special Sportsmen Alliance at www.childswish.com.

Thanks guys, he meets all the requirements. Lucky kid gets to hunt archery bull elk with me this year. He is pretty exited to say the least. :D

just make sure your wife "accompanies" him in the field. I think that means she has to be within 50 yards of him.

just make sure your wife "accompanies" him in the field. I think that means she has to be within 50 yards of him.

Wrong he does not have to have mom there dad will be just fine.

* The parent or guardian must accompany the child in the field or, if a grandparent allows a minor grandchild to use the grandparent’s permit or tag, the grandparent, parent or the child’s guardian must accompany the child in the field. In either case, the adult must be within 50 yards of the child when the animal is taken.

I would double check on this. I called the G&F about this and they said the parent or guardian that signed the tag over must be in the field with the child.

it specifically says "the parent or guardian". this would mean to me "the parent or guardian" that signed the tag over. Otherwise it would read "a parent or guardian".

I would double check on this. I called the G&F about this and they said the parent or guardian that signed the tag over must be in the field with the child.

it specifically says "the parent or guardian". this would mean to me "the parent or guardian" that signed the tag over. Otherwise it would read "a parent or guardian".

May be a safe idea to check just like Sundevil said. ;)

Yes please post G & F Department's response to your question. I am sure several of us would like to know what they had to say.

Attached is the Commission Rule that defines the process

R12-4-121. Big Game Permit or Tag Transfer

A. A parent or guardian to whom a big game hunt permit-tag is

issued may transfer the unused permit or tag to the parent’s or

guardian’s minor child, if:

1. The minor child is from 10 to 17 years old on the date of

transfer,

2. The minor child has a valid hunting license on the date of

transfer, and

3. A minor child less than 14 years old satisfactorily completes

a Department-approved hunter education course by

the beginning date of the hunt.

B. A parent or guardian may obtain a transfer, in person, at any

Department office. To obtain a transfer, a parent or guardian

shall provide the following:

1. Proof of ownership of the big game permit or tag to be

transferred;

2. The minor’s valid hunting license; and

3. The unused big game permit or tag.

C. An individual to whom a hunt permit-tag is issued or the individual’s

legal representative may donate the unused tag to a

non-profit organization if:

1. The organization is exempt from federal taxation under

Section 501© of the Internal Revenue Code;

2. The organization provides opportunities and experiences

to children with life-threatening medical conditions; and

3. The individual or legal representative that donates the tag

provides the organization with some type of statement

that indicates that the tag is voluntarily donated to that

organization.

D. A non-profit organization that receives a hunt permit-tag under

subsection © may obtain a transfer by contacting any Department

office. To obtain a transfer, an organization shall:

1. Provide proof of donation of the big game permit-tag to

be transferred;

2. Provide the unused big game permit or tag;

3. Provide proof of the minor child’s valid hunting license;

and

4. Transfer the tag to a minor child who meets the following

criteria:

a. Has a life-threatening medical condition;

b. Is 10 to 17 years old by the date of the transfer;

c. Has a valid hunting license; and

d. If is less than 14 years old, satisfactorily completes a

Department-approved hunter education course

before the beginning date of the hunt.

E. The Department shall issue a transfer permit or tag in the name

of the minor child if it is lawfully submitted according to this

Section.

The Rule does not require the person donating the tag to be present in the field. A previous version of the rule required the person donating the tag to be continuously presnet. That wording was removed in the last revision in 2006.

Gene Elms

Law Enfrocement Branch Chief

Arizona Game and Fish Department

This is really screwed up! When I checked with a G&F LEO last year, he told me that when the parent transfers his/her tag to the child family member, THAT parent must be within the 50 yards.

When someone donates the tag to an unrelated "sick" child, that person does not have to be in the field.

How do you get a correct answer that you can rely on?? :blink:

Mark

This is really screwed up! When I checked with a G&F LEO last year, he told me that when the parent transfers his/her tag to the child family member, THAT parent must be within the 50 yards.

When someone donates the tag to an unrelated "sick" child, that person does not have to be in the field.

How do you get a correct answer that you can rely on?? :blink:

Mark

Sounds like the USFWS at the border when bringing your buck and cape back to the U.S.

Ernesto C

If you're worried about it, print out Mr. Elms' reply. I doubt that a CO in the field will issue a citation if you have that in hand. Better yet, go to the regs and print out the same paragraphs that Mr. Elms did. Obviously, the CO who said that the parent who transferred the tag had to be "within 50 yards" was quoting something that he remembered from the academy or was told by another CO, and was not aware that the reg had been amended. Why make it more difficult than it has to be?