Sign in to follow this  
NewHunter

Looking for a 270 or 300 short mag...

I just got into hunting last year and I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I am looking for a 270 or 300 short mag, nothing smaller and nothing bigger...

I have looked at a few different models by Remington, Winchester, Tikka, Savage, etc... I don't have an overall preference, but I can tell you I'm not a fan of the bolt action on the Savage compared to the others I have looked at, but that doesn't mean I would rule it out.

Also, I am looking for a scope too. Preferrably a Leuopold or Nikon (don't care if it is the Buckmaster or Pro Staff). I would like something that is in the 4.5-14x40(or 50) range, but would consider the 3-9x40(or 50).

Does anybody have anything they are looking to sell? I am not looking to break the bank, probably looking in the $400-$700 range for the rifle and scope. If you have something you want more for, let me know, I am not against spending more for something good.

Also, my brother-in-law lives for hunting, so he'll be helping with this purchase. Just a warning so you don't think you can pull one over on me :)

PM me or post it here... Thanks!

Right hand...

Also, will consider other makes of scopes (vortex, etc...) just wanted to make clear I'm not springing for a swarovski yet...

My advice would be to do it right the 1st time and be done. If you buy a cheap scope you will be looking to upgrade in a very short time. At that point you will have to re-sight in the new one, and figure out turrets, aiming points, etc........ Just my .02 cents

As far as cal. the .270wsm or 300wsm would both be great choices for an Arizona rifle. The determining factor would be elk; if you see yourself hunting elk with it I would go with the 30 cal, if not I would go with the .270 wsm.

good luck in your search, and welcome to the sight.....

Whitey

The .270 (either the WSM, Weatherby, Ackley or Winchester) will put down nicely any elk that walks, so don't let that be your deciding factor.

If recoil is a consideration for you, buy a .270. If it isn't, you may want the .300.

Bill Quimby

My wife shoots a Browning X-Bolt in .300WSM. Even with 180gr. bullets its easy to shoot. It kicks a lot less than our .270WSM Savage. I love the .270WSM though, its a great round for Az.

These guys have pretty good prices on new guns.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=161315171

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.ph...935_13987_15869

It is a fact of life that most people shoot lower-recoiling rifles best, and for most of us the upper limit of comfortable recoil is 15 to 20 ft. lbs.

Recoil from a .270 WSM with a 130-grain bullet from an 8-pound rifle is 19 ft. lbs., while the recoil from a .300 WSM with a 180-grain bullet from an 8-pound rifle is 26 ft. lbs. That's close to 36% more than the .270 WSM's.

That said, the weight and the shape of the stock of a rifle and how it fits the shooter have much to do with felt recoil, and so does the size of the shooter.

I know women and small men who have no problem shooting a .458 WM. My .458 (and even my .338 and .375) pound me terribly, but I'm 6'4" and closer to 300 pounds than I'll admit.

Bill Quimby

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info so far, I appreciate it... The more info I have the better off I am (I think :))

I have been offered a Weatherby 300 WSM and a Remington 700 SPS 300 WSM. Anybody have any experience or feelings on either of these guns? Also, haven't been offered a Tikka yet, but I like the way they look and feel. Anybody have thoughts on those?

Just to give you my experience, I shot the deer in my picture with a 300 Ultra Mag and the recoil didn't bother me at all. To tell you the truth, it could have knocked me off the rock I was laying on and I wouldn't have noticed because I was so jacked up (which is why I am diving into hunting head first). However, even when I shot it to sight it in a few weeks before the hunt, the recoil didn't bother me.

I've had some people swear by a 300 wsm while others say 270 is more than enough for coues and the occasional elk hunt.

If you are looking at that weatherby, I have it in 270 WSM (Not for sale). Best round I have ever shot and the gun is great too. I don't think you could go wrong with the Weatherby 300 WSM you were offered. But you definetly don't need a 300 WSM to shoot an elk. I have shot elk with the 270 WSM and have seen elk killed with 243. So I wouldn't say that the variety of game for either 270 or 300 WSM would be a problem.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info so far, I appreciate it... The more info I have the better off I am (I think :))

I have been offered a Weatherby 300 WSM and a Remington 700 SPS 300 WSM. Anybody have any experience or feelings on either of these guns? Also, haven't been offered a Tikka yet, but I like the way they look and feel. Anybody have thoughts on those?

Just to give you my experience, I shot the deer in my picture with a 300 Ultra Mag and the recoil didn't bother me at all. To tell you the truth, it could have knocked me off the rock I was laying on and I wouldn't have noticed because I was so jacked up (which is why I am diving into hunting head first). However, even when I shot it to sight it in a few weeks before the hunt, the recoil didn't bother me.

I've had some people swear by a 300 wsm while others say 270 is more than enough for coues and the occasional elk hunt.

Never owned a weatherby rifle, but the rifle I use now on everything bigger than a coyote is a 700 SPS. I could afford it when i was 19 and it turned out to be a shooter. Nothin wrong w/ shooting a large caliber at smaller game, you just have to choose your bullet carefully. 270wsm is a great catridge IMO, but i like .30 bullets better

NewHunter, good luck finding a gun. I knew when I said that a "300 wsm would be a better elk choice" that people would chime in with "my uncle billy-bob shoots elk with a .243"......etc either the .270wsm or 300 wsm would make you a great Arizona rifle. If I were going to have one I would go with the 300 if you can handle the recoil. (I have both and I can't tell the difference in the recoil)

Good luck. I don't know what price you were offered on the weatherby, but keep in mind you can buy it brand new for $399

Good luck, and welcome to the hunting world were everyone has an opinion.............

whitey

New Hunter -

Congrats with your first big game animal. Your Coues buck looks sweet. It sounds like you are really lucky to have a great bro-in-law to introduce you to the hunting world and help you kill your first big game animal. :rolleyes: It will always be in your blood now. All the feedback that you have received from others here on this site have been excellent. I personally would buy the "right" gun and the "right" scope up front even if you need to spend more than anticipated. They will be with you for a very long time and most likely will even be given to your kids later on. Welcome to Hunting!

Sendero

I have a 270 wsm that might be up on the block... would not be cheap as it is a custom with a zeiss scope and a mcmillian stock, but possibly...