Sign in to follow this  
BML

AE Hunt Results

Well, to say it was a bad year would be quite the understatement!!

I believe it was 131 teams this year and with the 3 man teams, the total hunter count was just under 300. Total coyotes killed on day one was 31 or 32 and as of an hour before check in on day two, only 7 coyotes had been checked in. Obviously the weather played a huge part as the wind blew 20+ mph most of Saturday and the rain and snow was prevalent all day Sunday.

My brother and I had a good day though on Saturday. Stand number 2 produced a hard charging coyote first spotted at about 350 yards. I had the Mojo Woodpecker set up about 40 yards in front of us. That dang coyote hung up at 250 yards and would not come in! He just farted around out there and kept staring at the decoy. I tried everything I could think of to get him in closer but nothing worked. Finally after almost 10 minutes I decided to just go ahead and shoot him. Unfortunately, I missed!

Stand number 4 produced another coyote that came charging hard again. This coyote, though, came in from the left just a touch out of range, and never really came any closer. He simply came in running and never stopped running!

After that stand, the wind started and never stopped. We decided that we would go into some canyon country and call this nasty thick stuff since we knew the wind would be minimal. First stand we set up about 20 yards from the edge of a huge canyon. We were trying to get a bobcat out of the canyon, so I blew on that dang mouth call for nearly 25 straight minutes! Finally, I noticed movement to my right, almost behind me. By the time I realized that it was a fox, it was 10 feet away. It was so thick, though, that he didn't see me. He stepped out into the clearing to my right a mere 15 feet or so, but I was stuck with my rifle pointing the wrong direction. He kept looking at me trying to figure out what I was. Finally, he stepped out far enough that he could see the decoy and immediately started towards it. He literally walked right in front of my gun and I shot him at 15 yards.

DSC_5097.jpg

DSC_5111.jpg

I did win my $50 entry fee back in the raffle as well, so it was a pretty good weekend!

The good news is that almost 40 dogs hit the dirt!! Great job!! ;)

The good news is that almost 40 dogs hit the dirt!! Great job!! ;)

There's usually 60-70 dogs killed on this hunt, but the rain and snow really slowed down the hunting.

Blake nice job on the fox. I wanted to hunt, but had to work all weekend. Sounds like you need to carry a shotgun!

I actually had the shotgun in the case in the back seat of the truck, but my bag and some other gear had slid off the seat and piled on top of it, so I just said screw it. I got lazy and didn't want to dig it out! haha

The damage actually wasn't that bad on the fox. Exit whole was about 2-3 inches, which my taxidermist should easily be able to fix.

Blake nice job on the fox. I wanted to hunt, but had to work all weekend. Sounds like you need to carry a shotgun!

I actually had the shotgun in the case in the back seat of the truck, but my bag and some other gear had slid off the seat and piled on top of it, so I just said screw it. I got lazy and didn't want to dig it out! haha

The damage actually wasn't that bad on the fox. Exit whole was about 2-3 inches, which my taxidermist should easily be able to fix.

That will be a great mount. I am getting a big male I shot in January mounted. I think Greys are some of the best mounts.