Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Yellow Lab deeks Coyote

Last Thursday, Jake and I, along with my Yellow lab pup Charlie headed out for some coyote calling. Charlie has never been calling, but I play my Scorpion all the time, and he pays no nevermind to the calls. I also bang pots and pans, so he isnt gun shy either.

Well, we are all walking into our first stand, and about 15 yards away from sitting down when a few (sounded like 5+) coyotes start holwing RIGHT under our noses. Jake and I throw up our guns expecting to see them but we cant. I hand the leash to Jake, and I make a mad dash about 30 yards closer to the coyotes to a tree and take a knee. I still cant see them. I let out a challenge howl, and I think they think it is my pup, so one pops up at about 80 yards. I, of course start foaming at the mouth because I know this is a dead coyote walking. Well, I fire and he looks at me like nothing happened... Hmm... 80 yards away, I am on a knee, with my AR resting on a branch. Weird. So I shoot again and he starts trotting to the left. One more shot and then he starts sprinting. dang. Another dog pops up, facing me. I shoot and the dog starts running right at me. Now I am 0/4 and I am getting mad not knowing what is going on! I shoot my last round and hear a POP and see the dog roll. SWEET! So we walk up to the dog and I am saying how I put the cross hairs right on the middle of the chest as the dog came towards me. When we get there, I hit it RIGHT between the eyes. My AR was shooting about 8-10 inches HIGH!!! I was shooting right over the other dogs back! Lets just say the .223 with a 40 grain Vmax to the dome = NO PAIN for the coyote!

100_3158.jpg

No man, I swear the gun was off! And thats the God's honest truth! I lowered it about 5 inches after I shot the dog, then shot it on paper and it was still about 4 inches high!

Nice AR Casey, how do you like that stock? Still trying to settle on a stock for mine. Nice job.

Mike

Mike, I tried three different stocks before I settled on the Ace skeleton. I like it alot!

Ok Casey enough with the head shots - they are getting a little old.

Good looking pup you have there but what happened with the pointer you were thinking of?

Oh yea, thanks for taking out another fawn killer.

Belive me Larry, I wish I didnt hit it in the head... Mostly because if my AR was on, I would have killed two... and I would have gotten to see how the 40 Vmax works on behind the shoulder shots.

I dont bird hunt enought to justify having a pointer, nor do I have the time needed to train it properly. Charlie is sharp as a tack. He picked up sit, shake in about 5-10 minutes. He is AKC registered, and I got him from our own Aztrapper.

Casey, great looking dog. How old is Charlie now? I'm about to get a new puppy and leaning towards another lab. Good picture of you two.

If we are paying you to protect the border then I suggest you check your other guns as well. :lol: ;)

TJ

Charlie is 17 weeks old. Real good dog. I am pretty sure he is gonna be a big boy too. The vet thinks between 80-100 pounds!

Funny you mention that, as I have to go qualify today.

Very nice Casey, I guess it really doesn't matter where you hit a coyote, as long as you hit them. That is a good looking pup, got some ears to grow into. My first "out of the parents house" dog was a yellow lab, he went everywhere with me. Great companions and they need every minute of attention you can give them, good to see you taking him hunting. :D

--Bill