SHOOTER

Shed Hunting Pack

I was wondering what pack you shed hunters like to use for packin out horns. I was looking at a Badlands 2200. So which pack do you prefer for packin out a few deer and elk horns?Thanks

I got this one last year and am VERY pleased with it, very functional, affordable and sturdy. Much better than the 1970's boy scout pack frame I used the first couple years, allthough it worked too. This one is also great for Hunting and Gamehauling. Your day pack of choice and sleeping gear can be attached and detached in a matter of seconds using the cargo flaps. Also a tip, Bailing Twine is the best rope to carry for tying on sheds, free if you have livestock or know someone who does, it's made to handle the weight, and tightens as you hike, also can simply be cut off when your done instead of trying to save it . Pack comes with a rifle holder and pistol holster as well as accessory pocket, the suspension ( waist belt and shoulder harness ) are comfy too. The blaze orange rain bag included also makes you feel safer while packing sheds/game dureing a hunting season and will protect your gear from the elements and meat from the bugs and dirt. The folding load shelf is the best feature.. I used a daypack with internal frame the first couple times I hauled a stack of sheds, a big mistake, dangerous and awkward!! Your back and knees need the stability of a rigid load, and the functionality of an external frame pack is just handy for haulin sheds. If you plan on hauling 80lbs+ in meat/ horns and gear, an external frame is the way to go. model and brands differ but will serve the same purpose.... Anyone have review for other makes?

post-2337-1264016712_thumb.jpg

Good for Coues haulin too..

post-2337-1264014486_thumb.jpg

This is Another external frame pack I had on loan after my Boy Scout pack was toast. I forget the make, but the plastic frame was very wably, allthough it got the job done.

post-2337-1264014606.jpg

Old red, the 70's scout pack that could..

post-2337-1264014826.jpg

This "pack" will get some more use in the comeing years as my knees and back grow older.

post-2337-1264013442_thumb.jpg

Or you can weld a custom packframe like the one Jason uses and rivet on store bought pack and suspension. Carefull though, his pack weighs 20 something pounds empty, he's a mule so he don't care, he swears by his pack and I gotta admit, it's a beast and will Git-r-done. His pack frame will last longer than a man will, I know that. The ridgedness of his frame is worth the extra weight in 1' box steel tubeing. Also he usually carries an elk shed in the front to displace the load and keep you from fallin over backwards when you stand up straight on steep inclines..

post-2337-1264013813.jpg

If you have allot of money 250$ +, I would also suggest a "Bull Pack" from those guys in Idaho, the next one I plan on getting and bending up, if my body allows.

Watch out though, the first time you max out a pack with sheds your addicted for life and will want to do it over and over again! God help you....lol, especially if you do kartwheels just finding one like most of us do. I felt I allmost killed myself the first attempts at backcountry shed trips. But have at it, It's a blast and theres enough national forests and public land and sheds for everyone willing to put the miles in.... A frame pack will pay in dividends by enjoying the treks in comfort and function. Btw the antlers get hung on brush more than the frame if that's your concern, allthough stalking game can be loud, but they stop and stare at the anlers in confusement anyway :lol: ... I'm still learning and will probly wear myself out before I run out of things to learn on the trail... Good to have an expert friend like Jason as a teacher too, many shortcuts and bi-passed troubles in that..

Hope this helps in your shed quest, Happy Shed Hunting! :)

All of Dustin's info is great. I use the Cabelas Alaskin Outfitter external frame pack. I like it. It has a very comfortable belt strap, is versitile, and has held up very well. I have had 120 lbs on it (ouch!).

I use my 2200 for longer trips. It's so thick in some of the areas I go that a pack frame catches on everything. I'm thinking about getting a Badlands Ultraday for the shorter trips, on these trips I bungee the antlers together and just use a shoulder strap.

--Bill

I use a freighter frame, with a smaller backpack simply strapped over the frame. When I arrive to my destination I simply stash my frame and run the hills dropping sheds at the spot and go looking for more. Becareful and flag (not GPS it without flagging) the drop-off spot so you'll be able to find your pack....again. I found this to be excellent when in steep country with heavy brush, it keeps you lite. GPS's in steep canyon will be off sometimes within 30-60yds and thats alot, especially when your dead tired, thirsty and carrying horn.

My rack'N buddy have found that good ole' original Duct Tape is the best stuff to carry along with a couple rubber bungee cords with the "S" hooks. The rubber grips the sheds excellent too. I stack'em tight then tape'em together where they cross. I'll then bungee the horns on to the frame. I've never had any come loose or rattle around while hiking back. They stay put even in "horn grabbing country".

Also in my pack I carry a couple pouches of EMERGEN-C to give ya that need electrolyte boost that you sweat out all day and a few HD Zip-ties. The ties come in handy for anything from securing loads to even trail repairs of a pack.

My pack dont quite weigh 20 pounds but the frame weight did go from 3 to 8 pounds. Having bent the crap out of aluminium and plastic frames, welding up a metal frame for me was the ticket. I used an Outdoor Products brand for the pack it self. I like having a pack that is big enough stuff your sleeping bag and a tarp/tent down inside rather than trying to tie it on outside of the pack.

Having used horses several times for packing I would have to agree that is the way to go whenever its tactical. I favor using horses many times because your vantage point is better and more effort can go into looking for antlers instead of watching your feet.

Almost feels like you cheated when you get back to the truck.

post-3284-1264210531_thumb.jpg

When I am around town where access is easy I still use a Toys-R-Us version that is much lighter more for carring water and cameras. In the back country tough I can deal with a little more weight instead of a flimsy pack alot easier, or at least thats my opinion.

I always figure that Shed Hunting is something that I do to prepare for the real hunt... So I try to use what I would be using on the real hunt...

J

shooter the 2200 works ok for 5 to 6 big sheds but after that theres not alot of room. They are nice for 1 day stuff you just have to learn how to pack it best for you.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5...amp;category=22

This one is slightly overkill if your just going on a day shed hunting trip. However if your wanting to train for hunting its a very awesome pack for 5-7 days out. Mystery Ranch also makes a pack called the load sling that would probably haul a lot more antlers then you can carry. Expensive yes. Worth it if you do a lot of backpacking yes.

post-2034-1265383516_thumb.jpg

This right here is the best pack I have found, expensive as heck but as jamaro said it is like practicing for the real hunting.

Gummer and Annie both belong to my brother and he lets me borrow them on occasion, but these two have packed me out of some messes that were pretty unbelieveable.

Best packs you could ever find.

annie.ppt

Generally I just use a role of electrical tape.... perfect up to 5-6 sides. But I don't find as many as some of these guys.... :(

All of Dustin's info is great. I use the Cabelas Alaskin Outfitter external frame pack. I like it. It has a very comfortable belt strap, is versitile, and has held up very well. I have had 120 lbs on it (ouch!).

+1 very comfortable for those heavy packouts.