matthewp45

My San Carlos Hunt

I just got back from another fun coues hunt on the rez. We hunted unit C this year and saw a ton of deer. Out of the 5 days I hunted we would average about 10 bucks seen a day. The rut was a little slow at first but it did turn on in some spots by the end of this last week. Thursday morning my dad and I glassed up a couple of bucks that had some potential so I hiked up to them to get a closer look. They ended up being a couple mid 80 type bucks and I was looking for something above 90" with 2 days left in the hunt so we moved spots.

We got to the other glassing spot and got set up and after about 2 minutes of glassing I found a good buck. The only thing I saw was a good looking frame with good mass and main beams with good eye guards. I didn't even think twice. I grabbed my gear and gun and took off and told my dad to keep an eye on him. The buck was about a mile away on the other side of this big drainage. So I crossed the big drainage and got up to where I could see again and my dad told me he had laid down under a cedar tree. Well you know how it goes there were about 50 cedars on the hill side and he had moved farther down on the hill. I just kept easing my way closer and glassing. Finally my dad tells me the doe is up and I stop and glass her up and she is 450 yards. He says the buck is behind her 50 yards under a cedar. There are 5 cedars that could possibly be the one and the slope of the hill prevented me from seeing below any of them. The only thing I can do is get closer. The doe bedded about a minute after she got up so I put another cedar between me and her and just took one step at a time being as quite as I could. I reached the cedar that was between me and her and I knew I was with in 50 yards of her. I was on my hands and knees and peeked around and still no buck. I knew if I stood up I would have a good chance of seeing the buck but I also knew the doe was close enough she would bust me so I better be ready. So, I took out my tripod while I was laying on the ground and extended it all the way out to use it as a rest. I stood it up and grabbed my gun. Since I had left the truck it had taken me 2 hours to get to this point. I started to stand up real slow with my gun ready and right when I got up I see the doe stand up at about 25 yards. She turned and bolted off. I knew the buck would be right behind her I looked around and just like clock work the buck stood up and I swung over put the crosshairs on the shoulder and squeezed as fast as possible. Bingo, hit him right on the point of the shoulder and he never moved a muscle. I was using my 7MM RUM because I thought I would be shooting long range but at 88 yards it may have been a little bit of an over kill.

After I did my jumping up and down and celebration dance I walked up to the buck and he turned out to be pretty interesting with about 5 extra little 1" or so extra points. I was real happy with the buck he ended up scoring 92 6/8". He is going to look great on the wall with the others. I wanted to thank my dad for being a great navigator and caring out the 2 back quarters. Can't wait until next year. Hope you enjoy the pics.

004_4.jpg

009_9.jpg

007_7.jpg

Here is me and my dad with the Christain Wolfe thumbs up on the pack out!

011_11.jpg

010_10.jpg

Very nice buck Matt. Thanks for sharing.

--Bill

Congrats Matt... great lookin buck, your dad looks like he had a great time too.

congrats mathew, nice buck, love the extras, cant wait until we get to hunt together again, that was lots of fun.

tommy

Thanks Tommy. We are gonna get together for turkey season and go kill a couple big ole long beards. Hope everything is well with you and your family. Thanks guys for all the kind words.

Great job Matt I knew you would get a good buck and that one has a ton of character! I think the packout picture is the best ;) !

You bet I enjoyed the story and the pictures as well. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Nice buck! :)

TJ