So I have a .270WSM brand new. It is going to be my primary hunting rifle. Just curious on what you bullets you use What works best for you and why. I am thinking of shooting a 165 grain bullet as an all around round. Also, thinking about reloading. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jeremy-

I would choose the Nosler 140 Accubond or the Hornady 150 Interbond. They're bonded bullets with good BCs.

Some reloading data is on the Nosler website. H4350, H4831sc, Ramshot Hunter would be good powder choices.

What 270 bullet were you thinking for 165gr? Sounds more like a 30 cal weight.

What 270 bullet were you thinking for 165gr? Sounds more like a 30 cal weight.

My mistake clicked the wrong chart. So the Nosler AccuBond 150gr? Is bigger better? Would 140gr be enough for elk? I know shot placement is key... :D

In my opinon, its the best round out there. I shoot a Tika T3, 270wsm, equipped w/zeiss scope. Did the break in with the barrel, one box of 20 took forever to break it in, and I lapped the scope rings before mounting the scope. I use the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in 150 grain, and so far have taken, (3) coues with it at ranges of 200, 262, 300, (2) black bear at 419 and 400, (1) mulie at 100, (1) elk at 326, and a coyote, head shot at 410. With that 150 gr ballistic tip, which worked best for my rife, bench shots my best 5 shot group at 500 yds, was at 4 an a quarter inch.Your going to love that round, no matter what bullet you use.

So the Nosler AccuBond 150gr? Is bigger better? Would 140gr be enough for elk? I know shot placement is key... :D

I believe the Accubond is only available in 100, 130 and 140 grain weights for .277 caliber.

A bigger bullet will drop more, but have less wind drift and more Energy, but the practical difference between the 140 and 150 will be very small.

I doubt an elk will tell the difference with 10 grains more in the lungs, and a 140 will be plenty for elk. Better to have a rifle with manageable recoil that one can hit what they're aiming at, rather than a bigger mangleum that causes flinching. Recall the development of the 7mm Rem Mag for elk in that regard.

Keep terminal velocity above 1800 fps with the 140 Accubond for reliable expansion, that'll be out to about 800 yards, plenty far.

I shoot the Winchester Balistic Silvertips in 150gr also. They shoot consistently out to 800 yds. I have shot elk, deer and prairie dogs ;) . It doesn't matter what you shoot at they are very devastating bullets. The bullets are pretty good in the wind also, can shoot with 15mph winds out to 700 yards very easy.

I shoot the Winchester Balistic Silvertips in 150gr also. They shoot consistently out to 800 yds. I have shot elk, deer and prairie dogs ;) . It doesn't matter what you shoot at they are very devastating bullets. The bullets are pretty good in the wind also, can shoot with 15mph winds out to 700 yards very easy.

Dunno about easy. Would have 48" of drift under those conditions.

But the 270 WSM is a nice cartridge for NA that has sane recoil.

i love mine, and have shot several deer, and antelope with it, 130 or 140 barnes triple x solid copper, they work great

have fun

tommy

My buddy has one and it became his favorite rifle/caliber. He shoots a 139 grain bullet and has taken a bull elk at 399 yards, mule deer at 250 yards and a coues at 300 yards, all 1 shot. He praises it.

I shoot the 130 accubond in mine and am very pleased with it. I would not shoot the 130 for elk, but I have bigger 30 cal.s for elk. At any rate, I love mine and would feel good about shooting anything in Arizona smaller than elk out to 800 yards.

Whitey

+ another 1 on the 140 gr Nosler Accubond over 62 to 63 grains of H4831SC (see my thread below on "My Personal Best"). My 270 WSM also loves 160 gr Nosler Partitions over 60 grains of RL19. The Coues deer in my other thread is my first kill with the 270 WSM and I must say I was impressed. The deer was less than 15 feet from the one and only shot. I did take the rifle on a Elk hunt as a backup to my 300 WSM with the 160 partitions but never had to use it. I don't have any experience with Accubonds on Elk but I do have a fair bit of experience with 180 gr Partitions in 30 cal so I would not hesitate to try the 160 gr Partition in 270 and as someone posted earlier, the 140 Accubond with a well placed shot on an Elk will no doubt do the job.

I shoot the 140 accubonds with RL 19. Shoots 1/2" at a 100 and has killed a lot of deer and antelope.