Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

Soup and Sandwich...

Larry, I'm sorry to hear about your hunt. I'm especially sorry to hear about the LOOOOOOOSER who is missing three fingers and carries around tools to mess with other hunters. Keep the faith my friend. I congratulate you on your efforts.

Thanks Simon. Ya, it sucks that some guys feel it necessary to mess with others.

Great story Larry. It was great to meet you and Chris. Sorry I could not be more help on the hunt. Just means your buck will be bigger next year.

Chris

I want to get this out here so that everyone knows. It has been mentioned already, but I want to point it out loud and clear. The unit being written about is 36c and it sucks! People need to hunt 22,23 and 24 where the big deer are. Don't apply for 36c. I had a few tags to fill for my friends and could not find anything bigger than 80s in the late November hunt. I really had to eat a big humble pie with the soup and sandwich. In years past I could always glass up a mid 90s buck daily among the piles of garbage after the dust from the border patrol helicopter has cleared. Not this year. Of coarse, I know why scoutm et al had trouble finding 100+ deer on late December tag. Two major reasons.

1. The December tag is not a rut tag for this unit. The rut never seems to start early in this unit. The new moon of January is the most likely time for the rut which is next week this year(1/14). Some years I don't see the heaviest rutting activity until mid February during the Ham javi hunt. I have a feeling i might be seeing the rut during the Ham season this year if at all. If there is no more rain there may be no rut.

2. 36c is the driest unit in the state that contains Coues. Except for 42 of coarse ;) . The monsoon was terrible this year and no fall storms to speak of have left the unit even drier. Springs in the peaks are dry. Because of this I think the mature deer left their high vertical haunts for the unglassable and nearly unhuntable flats. This theory has some confirmation by carp hunters that told me of all the "Big Whitetails" they kicked up during their hunt, while on horseback or still hunting.

36c sucks,

Bob