We went down Last week for our Coues Hunt. There is nothing that gets me more excited than chasing the Gray Ghost! The first three days we had beatiful sunshine and perfect weather. Then the storm set in bringing lots of rain and snow on the higher peaks. It was good to see the desert get some much needed Rain. Scouting prior to the hunt and opening morning had produced just smaller to average Bucks in the area we were in. Most of the Deer seen this year seem to be lower in some tough drainages and canyons. I believe water conditions had change there patterns in this area from previous years. Later during opening day this Buck was glassed up and after looking him over we decided to try for him. He was in a steep canyon. We where able to get out on a rock cropping across from him at 323 Yards. After watching him in his bed for 4 hours I was able to make the shot and drop him after he stepped out that late afternoon. It then took 2 hours to cross the canyon and get to him. After Pictures and boning him out we got back to camp with headlamps at 9:00 at night.

Later in the hunt we continue to look for a Buck for Hunting Partner Mike (aka N777A). After looking over several Bucks we found this Buck in the late afternoon one day. He also was in a tough steep canyon below feeding below some huge cliff walls. Mike decided this was the one for him. He had better width, mass and 4"+ eyeguards. This was one of the most decieving Bucks I have tryed to field score. We were very pleasantly suprised with the final tape as we underscored him by quite a bit. Mike was able to set up across from the Buck on a small rock cropping and make the 215 Yard shot. Once again this buck made it out with headlamps at 9:00 at night.

We could not have asked for a better hunt. Good Company, Good food and Good hunting in Arizona Coues Country!!

Congratulations on a couple of nice looking bucks!

Great looking bucks - nice job. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. I love that first one - what a great looking buck! Tough country too.

Awesome. Beautiful deer in some rugged country. Congrats to both of you, Dan that first buck is what I dream about in a typical Coues', the brows on the 2nd are daggers.

--Bill

Congratulations on both your bucks and it sounded like some really hard work getting them out of there. Thanks for sharing your story and pics with us. :)

TJ