Sign in to follow this  
Huntaholic

What's the best unit for road hunting??

In your opinion what's the best road hunting unit in the state? Not talking about shooting out of trucks road hunting. I'm talking about parking the truck and hiking no more than 100 yards or so to a good glassing location. Don't care about size just want the best chance to glass up the most bucks close to a road.

From what I have seen every unit is good. But in all seriousness 23 would be problably good in the central area.

23 is the answer to any question about best unit for.......!

Bob

In your opinion what's the best road hunting unit in the state? Not talking about shooting out of trucks road hunting. I'm talking about parking the truck and hiking no more than 100 yards or so to a good glassing location. Don't care about size just want the best chance to glass up the most bucks close to a road.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's pretty funny! Unless you're taking someone with a handicap of some sort, this question CAN'T be for real......

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's pretty funny! Unless you're taking someone with a handicap of some sort, this question CAN'T be for real......

+1

Think it depends on what you are looking for ..... Driving off road as well as tons of scouting trips I have seen Just as much game from the road in southern units as the northern ....... if your talking about getting in good locations not far off the road where you can glass and maybe get a few hundred yard shot on Mule deer or coues I would say the lower units bellow the rim ..... 23 as good as the unit is has a high density of road hunters , and road conditions as well as proposed closures may make an impact on the years to come (we will see) .... The 24's offer good as well as the bad of 4x4 roads that will let you get high and have lots of glassing potential ..... As much as your going to be bashed about the road hunting thing (and something I am not a fan of) Not a hunter on this site has not spotted quality game from a road driving and not let that be a reason for further investigation into the area they have seen them.... and I highly doubt that any hunter here in traveling to a specific destination that jumps a quality animal from their vehicle that presents them with the time to get out and make a quality shot is not going to take it ..... As much as I like to get away from the roads the fact is that a big majority of hunters drive from dawn to dusk with a few stops in between and in doing so have their fair share of tags filled including some Toads ..... If it is your day then it is your day and to try to state one unit as better than another from a road would be hard to do IMO .......

My brothers and I killed these 3 bucks that were glassed up from the same point 100 yards from not only a road but the highway. The first 2 were killed in 2008 and the last one just this oct.

Oh yeah, unit 22.

If you have a good 4x4 and not afraid of Az pin-striping or maybe even some body damage. Then 36B has a ton of high roads on ridge lines that will provide for good glassing. The 102 3/8 deer I pulled out of that unit was spotted on my scouting trip from a road 4 years ago. I hiked back into the same spot before sunrise on opening day though to take the shot.

My partner got off three rounds on a 105+ this year as we were driving into an area to hike. I have to agree with what alot of others have said above though your chances go up if you beat the feet more than the tires. Good luck.

You 23 lovers are out of your mind..... :rolleyes: That is one of the meanest units in the state! For Coues any southern unit. For Carp... the Strip. For Elk....7. For sheep.... I'm not gunna tell you!!!! :lol: :lol: :P

Guest 300ultramag.

My brothers and I killed these 3 bucks that were glassed up from the same point 100 yards from not only a road but the highway. The first 2 were killed in 2008 and the last one just this oct.

Oh yeah, unit 22.

man this kid is proud of his deer!!! ive seen this pic alot it seems like... unit22 huh?