Sign in to follow this  
Apatkelley

Youth hunt success

My friend's son got drawn for a Juniors only deer hunt. He came down on Sunday night and we planned to hunt Monday morning. We hadn't been to the unit much so I called up one of my friends (Hammy) a regular on this site, and asked him if he knew anything about the unit. He said he did and that he could even join us for a few hours on Monday morning before he had to head to work. We were in position just before light and started to find deer. We found two spikes before too long and tried to get into position for a shot. We closed the gap to 400 yards and tried to get set up, but the bucks started to feed away and we lost them. Later in the day, we found the same two spikes not too far from the last spot we had seen them. We moved in closer and Aaron was able to make a nice 280 yard one shot kill on this buck. Thanks again John for taking time to help it was a blast. Also, thanks to Chris another regular on this site for his willingness to help point us in the right direction.

Aaron Gray and his spike whitetail buck

post-1922-1259820010_thumb.jpg

Darrin, Aaron and Allison Gray, all smiles!!

post-1922-1259819956_thumb.jpg

I see some good tasting venison there ..... It is great the job these young hunters are doing this year and for all of seasoned hunters helping them they all deserve some big high fives ..... Hopefully my guy will be getting out on his first hunt next year ..... Looks like you have really been helping this year and I think that is awesome ... keep up the good work

Again, congrats to Aaron! It was a blast to tag along, and get to meet such a nice family. Even though Aaron did not connect that morning, he demonstrated his maturity by not taking a shot he wasn't comfortable with. I have found that decisions like that usually pay off in the long run, and it did for him, with his afternoon second chance. Kudos to you also, and all the youth you have helped this season, including my son. Now it's your turn to get out there and bust a monster in December!!!

Congratulations to Aaron on a good hunt, and Kudos to all the fine folks that helped.

Good job,

--Bill