Sign in to follow this  
BIGBUGPETE

Rifle Scope Choice?

Hey all I am in the market for a new scope. I want a scope that I can shoot out to 400 yards or plus if need be. It will be on a 7mm. My price range is 200-300 dollars. Basically I want a nice clear scope that lets in enough light in low light conditions. I am looking at the Burris Fullfield II. Either the 3-9x40 or 3-9x50. The 3-9x50 is 300 i think. I am also looking at the leupold VX1. Same size scope is the same price i think. Which scope is better for the money or do you guys know of another scope that is better in that price rrange? Also should I get the 3-9x50 or 3-9x40. I was told the 3-9x50 will bring in a lot more light. Please help guys. I just want my rifle to be long shooting gun!

Thanks,

Dennis

I had a Nikon Buckmaster on my 7Mag

and then switched it to my Daughters 7MM-08

When I bought my Conquest.

I am very happy with it and right at the top of your range.

40-50 is your call rather you want the extra size/weight.

You might consider the Nikon Buckmaster as Mike mentions, and also the Bushnell Elite 3200 and Vortex. Possibly pick one that has a ballistic reticle, but to keep it under $300 will likely keep you in the 3-9x magnification range.

I would go with a 40mm objective. Good coatings on a 40mm scope will be just as effective in low light as poor coatings on a 50mm lens.

Talk to Doug at CameraLand about the Vortex scopes he carries and some of his demo scopes.

another +1 for the Nikon, I have three of the 3-9 and absolutely no problems, I own Leopold and burris and a few others and really like the nikon buckmaster 3-9 for the price I think the quality is great.

The 3 - 9 x 50 Leupold Rifleman is $259 at walmart i think. Have one and love it. I also think the 50 mm objective is worth the extra $$.

I have the Fullfield II in 4.5 x 14. I like it. Also like the Balistaplex. If you call Burris customer service they will tell you what the calibrations are for each load depending upon the load you are shooting elevation etc.

So you guys really think that nikon buckmaster is that good of a scope? I didnt know they compared to them. Man i need help. You guys made it even harder for me to make a choice now! What should be my ultimate decision

So you guys really think that nikon buckmaster is that good of a scope? I didnt know they compared to them. Man i need help. You guys made it even harder for me to make a choice now! What should be my ultimate decision

:P In your price range, Yes

If your not in a rush save your $

and get a better quality scope.

My next choice up would be the

Ziess Conquest at about $600.00

Hey all,

Looked at all three scope this week and to be honest the leupold looked the clearest to me. The buckmaster came in third for clearness. The thing is the guy at cabelas said the nikon is the best scope of the 3 and thats what I am hearing from most people. To me the leupold just looked clearer but no one has recommended the leupold so I am just confused. I dont know what to do to make my decision. I realy want the BDC tohugh and Im not sure if Leupold has it.

The July 2009 issue of NRA American Hunter magazine had a comparison test of the various ballistic type plexes.

Their comment about the Nikon BDC regarded the imprecision of the circles. At 400 yards, it is an 8" circle. Zeiss Rapid Z 800 ranked best, followed by the Leupold B&C.

I don't know what you want to shoot at 400 yards plus, but the target is going to be small with only 9 power. I have a 3.5 X 10 and I want to change scopes to feel more comforatable at 300 yards.