Sign in to follow this  
jdhunter

Bear called

I had a crazy calling evening last Friday. My calling partner and I went out for a normal evening of calling coyotes, what happened was totally unexpected. We set up for about five minutes when I noticed a coyote one ridge over about 200 yrds away. The coyote wouldn't get any closer so I shot the coyote with my 223. When the gun went off a big dark cinammon bear stood up and looked at me about 30 yrds aways in a deep thick ravine. I knew bear season was still open in this unit and each year I have a bear tag that usually goes unfilled. I quickly shot the bear in the head because I had only the 223 and the bear fell. It was absolutely crazy. The bear was over 300 lbs and had a 20 inch skull. 2 hours later after calling a couple other friends to come and help we had the bear to the truck some 500 yrds away. We had one pretty male coyote and one pretty bear that is estimated to be over 15 yrs old. You barely notice the Bears neck it was a big round bear from head to tail. The picture does the bear no justice. Unbelievable

post-3871-1259034115_thumb.jpg

Great job! 300lbs is a nice bear!!! great color to!!!

I had a crazy calling evening last Friday. My calling partner and I went out for a normal evening of calling coyotes, what happened was totally unexpected. We set up for about five minutes when I noticed a coyote one ridge over about 200 yrds away. The coyote wouldn't get any closer so I shot the coyote with my 223. When the gun went off a big dark cinammon bear stood up and looked at me about 30 yrds aways in a deep thick ravine. I knew bear season was still open in this unit and each year I have a bear tag that usually goes unfilled. I quickly shot the bear in the head because I had only the 223 and the bear fell. It was absolutely crazy. The bear was over 300 lbs and had a 20 inch skull. 2 hours later after calling a couple other friends to come and help we had the bear to the truck some 500 yrds away. We had one pretty male coyote and one pretty bear that is estimated to be over 15 yrs old. You barely notice the Bears neck it was a big round bear from head to tail. The picture does the bear no justice. Unbelievable

post-3871-1259034115_thumb.jpg

Come on JD, you guys been hunting out by PFFJ??? That is a big Duroc boar pig :blink:

Congrats on the bear and coyote combo..............

I will post better pics this week. I had no camera with me on the hunt because I was only hunting for coyotes. The friends who helped me get the bear out had a video camera. I have a pretty cool video explaining the story showing the bear and coyote I will post it as soon as figure out how to do it.