1: 100+

2: up to 70 yards

3: 105 yards (elk - almost a complete pass through and bull was dead in 2 minutes)

1: 100+

2: up to 70 yards

3: 105 yards (elk - almost a complete pass through and bull was dead in 2 minutes)

Wow, what do you shoot? I had a pass through on my coues at 105 but I just shot a bull at 25 and did not have a pass through. I never did take the time to see if I hit the back shoulder though, it was quartered away so that may be why I didnt pass through?

looks like we have some super heros here. Lots of guys I have witness can't even hit a paper plate at 60 yards "everytime" with controlled conditions. let alone take a 100 yard shoot at an animal that can take an unexpected step. I guess the affect of speed and distance and gravity don't apply to all arrows.

I think the questions to ask is how many arrows do you "FLING" at animals before you hit one?

Both posts look like your trying to bait someone into a fight. I'm not interested in arguing I will just give you my opinion. Speed, gravity etc... is only a small part of the equation and is easier controlled/compensated for than buck fever or a buck jumping the string.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate about ethics as everyone is different and I feel that I have as much or more respect for the animals I hunt than others, but one thing I find interesting is that a lion doesn't sit there and think, "lets see if I drop off this ledge on that buck, I might not be able to effectively kill it because of that little kicker antler that is going to hinder me catching it by the throat, I guess I will have to pass until that little fawn comes along."

IMO a real test of ethics is not how far the shot is, because I can and have missed at under 30 yards, but ethics to me comes into play after you have made a poor shot. What do you do? Look for 5 min and then move on, do you spend time on hands and knees, do you wait a day then come back? What is it that you do? Have you ever seen a deer killed by a lion, or coyotes, a bunch less ethical than a poor shot IMO

For me I shoot regularly at 80+ yards

Longest kill mule deer 81 yards

closest is bull elk at 7 yards

I think the questions to ask is how many arrows do you "FLING" at animals before you hit one?

Both posts look like your trying to bait someone into a fight. I'm not interested in arguing I will just give you my opinion. Speed, gravity etc... is only a small part of the equation and is easier controlled/compensated for than buck fever or a buck jumping the string.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate about ethics as everyone is different and I feel that I have as much or more respect for the animals I hunt than others, but one thing I find interesting is that a lion doesn't sit there and think, "lets see if I drop off this ledge on that buck, I might not be able to effectively kill it because of that little kicker antler that is going to hinder me catching it by the throat, I guess I will have to pass until that little fawn comes along."

IMO a real test of ethics is not how far the shot is, because I can and have missed at under 30 yards, but ethics to me comes into play after you have made a poor shot. What do you do? Look for 5 min and then move on, do you spend time on hands and knees, do you wait a day then come back? What is it that you do? Have you ever seen a deer killed by a lion, or coyotes, a bunch less ethical than a poor shot IMO

+1

A deer can take a step at 20 yards when you release, and you have an injured animal. Just because people shoot at long distances does not mean they have poor ethics. I take long shots knowing I can make them but also knowing I can miss. It is just like shooting at short distance. You may miss or wound an animal at any distance. That does not mean I dont care about the animal at all. I just shot my bull not long ago at 25 yards quartered away and hit him pretty good. He still managed to go at least 350 yards and did not die for a good hour+. I know that he suffered for a little while and the shot I took and made was as ethical as any shot. I wish the bull had died instantly but thats hunting. You try to do your best at harvesting an animal with it going through as little pain as possible. This is just my opinion so like WHT_MTNMAN said lets not turn another topic into a big argument.

+1

i practice as much at 70 plus than i do at 30 or 40. practice practice practice. i really dont see what the difference is from guys hot loading rifles and shooting out to 800+ yards with a rifle. technology with a bow gets better and better every year. still have good penitration at 100 yards ur still deadly. thats not unethical.

I am not going to get in a debate but I must and have to Laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: at someone comparing us hunting big game and ethics to those of predators.... the day I see a Cat or dog setting up a snare trap, using a dead fall, or pulling back a bow string and on the flip side A hunter perched in a tree limb for hours and hours over a game trail to drop down on a big buck and claw it and bite it to death with finger nails and teeth, chase it down on foot and beat in head to head combat .... I may then be convinced it is closer to apples and apples not apples and oranges .... again I must :lol: :lol: :lol:

With that being said I give props to the guys that feel they can make high percentage shots at those distances the $$$$$$ , the time spent knowing your weapon, the hours and days of shooting target after target has to be given credit for and as someone who is slowly getting back into archery I Some day would like to say I would have the ability to drop an Elk or even harder a coues at 100+ yards but something tells me I don't think I would not take a shot over 70-80 yards but until then I will stick at 40 or less.... The ethics comes with the confidence of your skills with that weapon and lets face it a couple steps in the right direction at 300 - 400 yards on our rifles can make the difference between a miss or a misplaced shot as well and we won't even talk about the rapid fire of bullets often slung out on fast moving game at similar as well as much shorter distances .....

Just MHO

not trying to start a fight. It just seems the realism for archery equipment is extended to the outer limits. then you have the animal factor. What do you think if the animal takes a step. what would the outcome be on a deer or elk at 30 yards compaired to 80 100 yards, well at 30 yards you could still possibly be in vitals but at 100 yards you hit the butt. I doubt that most guys that take these type shots have no idea what they are doing. they just fling the arrow and hope for the best. this is very real and completely unacceptable. some get lucky and that is all it is.

Still laughing at your comment on the coyote and lion comment. can the lion and coyote shoot bows do they have to buy a tag, put in for the draw, no. can they reason.

a real test of ethics IMO is do you take the chance of wounding the animal? sure you do everytime you hunt. sh!t happens but when someone asks for it by taking a shot that is questionable. a 100 yard shoot is questionable by about 95% of the archers out there even if they claim that they can do it. you are hoping for lots of luck becuase thats what it is luck.

most guys that shoot that far know very much about what they are doing, and are not flinging arrows any more than guys who shoot animals with ultra mag rifles are flinging lead at animals over 800 yards. guys who do that know very much about what they are doing too. in terms of distances and percentages the limits of each type of weapon are being pushed similarly.

Brilliant!

I can attest to this post. Last year I shot my antelope at 99 yards. Before the hunt I practiced for countless hours making sure I could hit the vital zone at that distance. Even with all the practice, I had set limitations. I told myself that EVERYTHING had to be right for me to shoot that far. There had to be ZERO wind, and the buck had to have no idea that I was even there. Well, on day two that exact scenario happened. My shot rang true at 99 yards, but did not immediately kill my buck. I won't go into all the details again, but 12 hours later I had my buck. I NEVER gave up on that buck, not even to go get food or water. My brother did all the hiking for me to keep us both from ending up in the hospital from dehydration.

Will I shoot that distance again? I can honestly say that I don't really know.

not trying to start a fight. It just seems the realism for archery equipment is extended to the outer limits. then you have the animal factor. What do you think if the animal takes a step. what would the outcome be on a deer or elk at 30 yards compaired to 80 100 yards, well at 30 yards you could still possibly be in vitals but at 100 yards you hit the butt. I doubt that most guys that take these type shots have no idea what they are doing. they just fling the arrow and hope for the best. this is very real and completely unacceptable. some get lucky and that is all it is.

Still laughing at your comment on the coyote and lion comment. can the lion and coyote shoot bows do they have to buy a tag, put in for the draw, no. can they reason.

a real test of ethics IMO is do you take the chance of wounding the animal? sure you do everytime you hunt. sh!t happens but when someone asks for it by taking a shot that is questionable. a 100 yard shoot is questionable by about 95% of the archers out there even if they claim that they can do it. you are hoping for lots of luck becuase thats what it is luck.

Why is it all luck? because you havent done it? There is a huge element of luck in hunting in general but shooting really doesnt have to be one of those things. it seems someone calls this luck because he hasnt done it so it must not have anything to do with skill. there is always someone who has done it all and seen it all, anything they havent done must not be real.