Sign in to follow this  
georgenoto

Unit 36 A Nov 27th

For five days, I hunted the Cerro Colorados hard. I saw some does, but no bucks. My brother in law saw a nice 3 point, but couldn't get a shot - of all places a few hundred yards off the road, close to a tank. He was too worn out to climb up high again, so he sat by a tank. I went back up the mountain.

I glassed many hours, hiked high in the wee dark hours of the morning, walked edges of canyons in the high wind trying to jump a bedded buck - nothing. Sat out the rain and hail and a little snow early one morning. I shot one there two years ago, saw a few bucks while scouting this year, but being the 5th hunt, I think there was just too much pressure in 36A this year. Not to mention the 2 mule deer hunts. Very disappointing! I think this late November hunt is a joke. In 20 years of whitetail hunting, I have never had such a discouraging hunt. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that during this 10 year drought, there doesn't seem to be as many deer out there. Luckily, I have a little venison left from a mule deer last year.........Good luck to the December hunters.

sums it up. i hunted the colorados too south and west sides. climbed the big double peaks to the southwest and glassed 360 degrees all day all i saw was a red dodge ram a red suv a red tacoma a white f150 and a camp of guys tearing down trees w a quad and shouting and shooting pistols all day. got up in a canyon on the west side and the hair on my neck stood up because it looked sooooo good but nada not even a doe. chose this hunt in the left overs and i probably wont hunt here again and if i do it will be october. back at home in 33 my cousin put botched stalks on 4 different 100" with two in the 110" range easy and glassed up 10 bucks in 2 days that was the salt on my wounds. 36a has some amazing country and probably some amazing bucks but they should put the youth hunt back in october and go back to 1 november hunt. at least on the smaller units

36A has always been tough for me. I've got some buddies that do real well there. so I know their in there.

BELLOTABUCKS where did you shoot that buck on your avatar, and what is it? Do you have a better photo?