Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

.270 wsm or 7mm wsm???

Thinking about getting a new rifle between now and next season. Trying to decide between .270 wsm or 7mm wsm. Browning makes rifles of all sorts in both calibers and now that FN owns Browning and Winchester, they are starting to produce the Model 70 again. I really would like one in the Model 70 and can find lots of 70's in the 270 wsm but they really dont seem to have near as many in 7mm wsm. I like the 7mm wsm cause of the ability to go bigger in bullet size but gun ability seems to maybe dictate that. Whats peoples experiance on here with either caliber?? Also experiance with these calibers in the Win Model 70's if any?? This will be mostly for Mulies and whitetail. Possible elk if I ever get drawn but have an 30-06 and 300 weatherby for that. Thanks for any help!

Also an excuse to buy another gun as well!!! :P

I'd get the .270 WSM. My next gun will be chambered for it. I don't think that there is a lot of difference other than bullet weight is heavier in the 7MM. Since you have the .300 Wby. already I'd say go for the .270 WSM.

Get a 7mm WSM!!! WHEN IT COMES TO BULLET SELECTION WITH HIGHER BALLISTIC COEFFICIENTS the 7mm will smoke the .270

Get a 7mm WSM!!! WHEN IT COMES TO BULLET SELECTION WITH HIGHER BALLISTIC COEFFICIENTS the 7mm will smoke the .270

:P OUCH Lark ;)

If you want a short mag thats fine.

If I had a 300 and was looking at the rounds you are

I would get at a 7MM-08 (Best mid size round ever made)

except for the 7-30 waters maybe, jury still out.

A quick look in my loading manuals did not list the short mags

but if I recall right the 7MM-08 is about 300 FPS faster than

the 7MM WSM.

My Girls have taken Javi's, Coues, Antelope and Elk with it

in a most efficient manor.

Just my $.02 but get your short mag if that is what you want

and as said go with the 7MM

The new Winchesters are not chambered in 7 WSM, according to their online catalogue.

If you do not reload, I'd say 270WSM as factory ammo is more common. Internet scuttle is that the new SC Winny's are more accurate than the New Haven rifles.

i have shot the 7wsm the 300wsm and the 270wsm i have the 270wsm its a good gun the 7mmwsm is ranked bottom on my list the 270 and 300wsms are more popular for a reason my 2 cents

I own a 7mm WSM and I would say go with 270 WSM. The 7mm WSM just never really took off like the 270 or the 300 and if you need to find ammo its limited and hard to find. I'm not saying the 7mm WSM isn't a good gun, I like mine a lot and it will shoot sub moa groups after some work. It just gets frustrating at times trying to find ammo if you don't reload.

Hey SunDevil, dont blame Dennis Erickson on us Wildcats!! That was all you guys. :lol: ! The 270 wsm seems like maybe abetter choice ammo wise, but both are really ballistically great on paper. Hows there recoil? Similar to the originals?? I hear the newer 70s are good to and I have noticed they arent currently chambering the latest ones in 7mm wsm either. Weird cause its ther own caliber.

I have a 270 WSM. I love it. As far as I can tell very accurate at long ranges. Shot an elk with it, did great. It is safe to say that a 500 yards shot is a cake walk with this caliber.

I am wondering. Why spend the extra money for a widcat round that you cannot buy if your were in a pinch everywhere. The 7mm mag will still outperform the shorts??? Extra money for less performance. I am no expert but did talk to one before making my decision on the 7mag. Contact Bob Shell-480-983-7078. He is a master reloaded.

If you don't reload, then go with the 270WSM. If you do, then the 7mm. My $.02. The Best of The West guys love the 7mm.

They learned that from me,

The only guy on this site smarter than Lark :rolleyes:

Note the signature line ;)