Sign in to follow this  
NRS

New fire in 36C

i think its lower in the unit

Thank god for him the (Rancher)

But the situation is bad

Just about a done deal, the humidity came up last night and put the fire down about midnight. About 5400 acres today and with the frost on the pumpkin tonight, they expect to release the crews in the morning.

Anybody have any updated news on this fire?

It burnt the entire unit rip your tag up and just stay home all the deer have moved out....

Anybody good enough with a mapping program, that they can show the location of the burn? Would Google earth show something like that?

Going down this Thursday to help some friends on a hunt and it sure sounds like the burn happened in the area we have been hunting, Take Care, JLG.

My two favorite areas were supposedly burned this summer and fall. Hoping for some good restoring rains.

I do not think that google earth would show the Elkhorn or 3 Peaks burns due to their image dates.

I was down there on friday and Saturday. When I pulled in on Friday the firefighters were pulling out. They told us it burned 6000 acres. And yes it did burn all that country west of the ranch. We spent some time in there anyway but did not see many deer. I was gonna hunt there this weekend but am now scrambling to make alternate plans.

I was down there on friday and Saturday. When I pulled in on Friday the firefighters were pulling out. They told us it burned 6000 acres. And yes it did burn all that country west of the ranch. We spent some time in there anyway but did not see many deer. I was gonna hunt there this weekend but am now scrambling to make alternate plans.

West of which ranch? Santa Margarita? Shaffer? Los Encinos?

I was down there this weekend. I believe the fire will have no effect on deer hunting. in fact i was hoping some of the catclaw would be cleared out in the lower canyons. I was disappointed. Mostly brush fire with a few oaks and mesquites taken out. Definitely not a scorched earth type situation.

Bob

A biologist from our office was down there Saturday. He said that there was a little bit of the area that was burned clean, but most of it was a light burn or it burned in a mosaic pattern with random spots burned. He also saw a good CWT buck on the edge of it and said that there were some good pockets on north slopes that were not even touched inside the burn. ;)

maybe everybody with a tag for that unit should hunt down there and leave the rest of the unit to me this weekend. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So did we get an answer to this question? West of which ranch? Santa Margarita? Shaffer? Los Encinos?

Take Care, JLG.

From 3 peaks, looks like the fire burned through Leyvas Canyon, up to the towers, and ended at the top of Mildred Peak. Mildred looked really charred. As I drove out yesterday, it did not look like the fire got to Shaffer Ranch and north up into Jupiter/Weaver canyons. Possibly got to Indian Tank and stopped there.

36CCouesHuntNov2009068copy.jpg