Sign in to follow this  
buglethemin

first buck ever

Well I didnt think I was going to do any type of whitetail hunting this year. Howvere I was able to get away for a day to help a friend of mine on opening morning in unit 21. He never hunted this unit, and as any central or northen units the whitetail are held up in pockets, so never hunting the unit would be tough for him. The good thing is that I and some of my friends have killed several bucks in 21 over the last 10 years. The bad thing I have not been hunting this unit since my last kill in there in 2004, nor have I scouted that unit since then. I told myself I would never take that rough road again. In '04 I took my truck in there and tore off skid plates, one of my buds bang up his rear axle and tore off a nerf bar. It takes 3 hours to go 7 miles in a truck or jeep, and on a quad it takes an hour, and even on my quad this trip I would bottom out on lava rock. Ok on to the hunt. I took him back to a great spot and at first light, I found a couple of mule deer. I was kind of concerned because I never seen mulies in the spot, ohwell I continued glassing and found 6 more mule deer, all bucks 3x3 or better, some were even fighting each other. Continued glassing and found 3 more mule deer bucks, these guys were big and running together. 9 mule deer bucks all on the same ridge. I asked Rob, are you sure you have a whitetail tag. :rolleyes: Even he was wishing he did. So we decided to move over a ridge where I know there should be some whitetail. We got to this ridge and spooked up a whitetail doe. Well that was promising at least there were still whitetail in here. NO bucks at this spot, only a nice bull elk and some turkey. I decided to glass the ridge with the 9 mule deer bucks, because I always have seen whitetail bucks on that ridge, and wouldnt you know it, I found three whitetail bucks running together, between the herd of 6 and 3 mule deer bucks. We watched them for awhile and wathced them feed over the ridge. I knew exactly where they were heading. To their bed. We head out to the bedding area about a mile away from our glassing point and had to manuever around the mule deer, but we got it done. We got within 150 yards of the bedding area and the bucks stood up. Two ran off and one stayed and watched us. Rob took a shot and missed. He shot over his back. He shot two more times as the buck never ran off, he just walked between some dead junipers. His othe two shots hit the trees. The deer went out of sight behind some junipers. We walked over to the last spot he was at and I looked ahead and noticed the buck standing broadside at 40 yards. Rob was behind me and I motioned him to get over here, the buck started trotting off. I whistled and he stopped again. Rob shot, and hit him, he dropped and the shot was only 46 yards. He was stoked, this was his first buck ever. It was a fun quick day hunt, and I was glad I was there to see Rob take his first deer ever, and it was a Coues.

post-2764-1256419128_thumb.jpg

awesome,there are some good bucks in 21,I am with you used to hunt that every year now I concentrate in 6a more accessible for me,congrats

Nice work... Congratulations!!!

Nice buck! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to pump some lead into the hills of unit 21. You know what I mean buglethemin. :lol: :( :lol: Congratulations to Rob on a nice buck and good job putting him on one in just a couple of hours.