Sign in to follow this  
ruffcountry

7 mag velocity

Can someone give me an estimate of velocity for the following load in a 7 rem mag with 26 in barrel .

65.4 grains of IMR 4831 in a hornady case with a win mag primer and 154 grain hornady sst.

Probably somewhere between 2,850 - 3,000 FPS.

according to the IMR website:

160 GR. NOS PART IMR IMR 4831 .284" 3.290" 57.0 2707 50,600 PSI 61.0 2858 58,400 PSI

However I think most of those were done with a 24" barrel at least that is something I have found with my 7mm RUM and we have increased the velocity quite a bit. Unfortunately the data didnt have your exact bullet but I bet the range of 2707-2858 is low because of your barrel length. Also it would appear that 61grn is max load and 57 grn is the min load.

only way to tell anything even close is to shoot it through a chronograph. you might be able to get within a couple hundred fps by guessing, but that's it. maybe. i've been shooting my .300 a bunch the past couple weeks, tuning in a load for the new barrel and scope. i shoot well over 200 fps faster than what the manual says. i've got a real consistent load that i've decided on and it varies from 20 to 60 fps, and that is a pretty consistant load. 100 fps differen isn't real uncommon with a lot of loads in a given barrel. get a chronograph, shot 5 or 6 rounds through it. anything else is just a guess. seems to me that i'm usually considerably faster than what the books say the load should be. barrel lengths, chamber sizing, throat length, all make a difference. Lark.

Ok guys , thanks for the input . The reason I was asking is because I usually shoot factory loads but a friend gave me some of his handloads to try and they shot pretty well ( 3 shots at 355 yds < 1 inch ) but the factory ammo was close too (about 1 1/2 inches) and about 2 1/2 inches flatter . I was hoping to compare the velocitys ofthe two . My factory ammo is hornady heavy mag 139 gr sst , it is suppossed to start at 3250 fps , course if I shot it thru a chrony it might be different , too .

Ok guys , thanks for the input . The reason I was asking is because I usually shoot factory loads but a friend gave me some of his handloads to try and they shot pretty well ( 3 shots at 355 yds < 1 inch ) but the factory ammo was close too (about 1 1/2 inches) and about 2 1/2 inches flatter . I was hoping to compare the velocitys ofthe two . My factory ammo is hornady heavy mag 139 gr sst , it is suppossed to start at 3250 fps , course if I shot it thru a chrony it might be different , too .

Just currious, did you notice any signs of over pressure? I just took a quick look at my lyman reloading manual and it shows max load for those components is 64.0 grains, your load is well over a grain above the max. I know there are a lot of recipes that are above max that shoot well and have been tested. Not sure if you reload or not, i just wanted to point this out to you in case you don't.

For 64gr of IMR-4831 you should be around 2952 fps, not sure about 65.4 though, probably 3100 maybe, just a guess though...hope this helps you out.

Just currious, did you notice any signs of over pressure? I just took a quick look at my lyman reloading manual and it shows max load for those components is 64.0 grains, your load is well over a grain above the max. I know there are a lot of recipes that are above max that shoot well and have been tested. Not sure if you reload or not, i just wanted to point this out to you in case you don't.

For 64gr of IMR-4831 you should be around 2952 fps, not sure about 65.4 though, probably 3100 maybe, just a guess though...hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the heads up . No, I didnt notice any signs of over pressure , no dents , dings, cracks, splits, shiny spots, no problem with extraction and primer didnt look any more flattened than the heavy mag . Are those the signs you speak of and are there others I should look for ? A friend loaded these for me as I'm not a reloader myself . I believe he's been using this load for years.