Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Best Bivy Ground Pad

I tried posting this in the "Gear" forum, but something about my registration wouldn't allow me to. So, here goes. I'm in the market for a new packable ground pad. My last one was a Kelty self-inflating pad that worked well for me but was very succeptible to getting punctured.

Anyone out there have experience good bad or otherwise with backpack/bivy ground pads?

Are you talkin bout a assgasket while glassing? If so, I use the black insulation padding they use to wrap duct work. Its about 1" thick and works great. You can buy it at any hardware store, but most likely a commercial HVAC biz would be a for sure deal. They come in all kinds of sizes...buy a big piece and cut down with utility knife to whatever your butt size is :P It folds and compacts really nice in your pac and isnt heavy at all. They last bout a year with lots of hours on em. Try it...you'll likey!!

I have used the Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite on several pack in hunts with no issues. Word of advise is get one that will cover you from head to toe so your legs won't be cold.

http://www.rei.com/product/781089

I do have a Insulmat inflatable mat too but I only use that when close to truck trips (like bed of truck close) in case it gets punctured I won't be sleeping on the cold ground.

Thanks Johnny, but I'm talking about the pad you use under your sleeping bag.

My bad. I went to a cot, if your not backpacking in, and its totally money! Browning foldable.

Are looking for just comfort or is R-value and weight an issue as well?

Az1Cam,

I have been using the THermarest Prolite for about 2 years. It weighs 1lb and packs down to the size of a Naglene Bottle ( or a hair bigger).

R Value =2.2 - Prolite Specs:

It's super lightweight but, it is not the most durable on the market. It can handle the pines more than the desert terrain for sure. I always camp with a ground cloth under my Big Agnes tent so far after about 100 miles of trail it's holding up.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably buy the Thermarest -Toughskin. Read on - more on that one here. It's designed for more desert camping. Nothing worse than a punctured pad , well maybe a wet sleeping bag.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/therm-a-rest/toughskin/

Happy Trails!

AzP&Y

+1 for thermarest

Since you mentioned bivy ground pad in your title I'm sure you are wanting light and packable and I've found the thermarests to be very good. I too use a long one from head to toe, it is slightly heavier but well worth it.

Thanks for all the input so far - I really like that Thermarest tough-skin. I hadn't seen that before. Anyone try the Cabela's Alaskan Guide self-inflatables?

TAM - I'm looking primarily for something comfortable and reasonably light and compact. R-Value is not quite as important to me, I don't bivy a lot in REALLY cold stuff - been years since I did a Dec bivy hunt 24A and my 1.5" self inflatable was plenty of insulation, but only marginally comfortable from a padding perspective.

I have had a thermarest for about 10 years now. It has been very good. It is inflateable but even without inflating it has a little cusion, so if I pop it I wont be altogether SOL. It is pretty light and packable sorry I don't have dimensions or weight but it has worked well for me. So here's another vote for thermarest