BowFly

Feeders in AZ

Oh yea... JakeDunn, I heard the DNR put those lions up there in the Kofa's. Didn't they catch them in Phoenix area then take them out there? That's what they are doing down here south of Tucson. We got several over the past few years from what I understand. But hey.. that's totally natural to move them from the city and put them somewhere else, right?

SO your saying that deer don't adapt and they all use man made water holes and trick tanks ..... The reason for the need of any water catchments in az and most other places is do to MEN changing the surrounding areas... divirting water, tapping springs and last time I looked water fell from the sky and bubbled from the ground.... Don't try to sell the fact that it is needed... nothing is needed ...The animals will adapt and have way before the practice of feeders and man made water sources ... water sources that most were never put in place with the thought of wild game in mind but to support the herds of cattle free grazing the lands througout Arizona .... AS HUMANS WE WANT IT and WE WANT TO CONTROL IT... AND AS LONG AS IT IS LEGAL IT IS RIGHT .... well remember one thing most of the actions taken by mortgage companies and the banking industry that screwed everyone in this country were legal .... SO DOES THAT MAKE IT RIGHT ....

OMG! Talk about a broken record on every post! Try to read and learn a little, go up a few posts and read what wards said and let it sink in. Then go get a chevy.

And try to spell check at least one of your posts!

Think I will have a big laugh at all you .... Spell Check ... I guess your so used to seeing misspelled words when they are right you think they are wrong .... I may have one every now and then but not a fraction of the misspellings that are on CW.... Steven For your Question do I hunt over water .... the answer is no .... DO I hunt within the 1/4 mile of slopes surrounding water yes as any would .... But not over a tank .... and as far as this year goes I can tell you that I too have seen plenty of dried up tanks ... I have also seen little pockets of water(smaller than a large pot) where the springs are bubbling up and with 100X's the fresh track than the large butt tank that is still full ...... I am not against any of you in hunting the way you want to hunt knowing that it is legal .... but that does not mean that I have to agree with it ... that does not mean when the topic comes up I Should just stay quiet ..... And if you want to look through the past post you will see who starts slinging out words like ANTI's and others before I even coined the term MASTER BAITERS....... The fact is the truth hurts with you guys ,that is why you get so defensive .... BAIT Is your friend feeders make it easier for you .... I understand it and it is legal so do it .... BUT I DON"T HAVE TO AGREE THAT YOUR DOING IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE ANIMALS WITH NOTHING TO GAIN FOR YOURSELF ....

Think I will have a big laugh at all you .... Spell Check ... I guess your so used to seeing misspelled words when they are right you think they are wrong .... I may have one every now and then but not a fraction of the misspellings that are on CW.... Steven For your Question do I hunt over water .... the answer is no .... DO I hunt within the 1/4 mile of slopes surrounding water yes as any would .... But not over a tank .... and as far as this year goes I can tell you that I too have seen plenty of dried up tanks ... I have also seen little pockets of water(smaller than a large pot) where the springs are bubbling up and with 100X's the fresh track than the large butt tank that is still full ...... I am not against any of you in hunting the way you want to hunt knowing that it is legal .... but that does not mean that I have to agree with it ... that does not mean when the topic comes up I Should just stay quiet ..... And if you want to look through the past post you will see who starts slinging out words like ANTI's and others before I even coined the term MASTER BAITERS....... The fact is the truth hurts with you guys ,that is why you get so defensive .... BAIT Is your friend feeders make it easier for you .... I understand it and it is legal so do it .... BUT I DON"T HAVE TO AGREE THAT YOUR DOING IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE ANIMALS WITH NOTHING TO GAIN FOR YOURSELF ....

I guess the major question to you here is…………, are you rifle or archery hunting? I would have to venture to say that if you are rifle hunting you might as well be hunting over the water a ¼ mile is only 440 yards and I know that’s like shooting a bow at approximately 45 yards. If your archery hunting then I’m sure you’re concentrating on trails leading to the water. So in that case the water would be your attractant. If you are hunting in a area that produces lots of small springs that’s good for you , but keep in mind not every mountain range has that privilege All I’m saying is it’s ok to state your opinion but you and everyone else needs to reframe from calling names. One other thing you need to remember is ……we all need to water it’s our life blood but we don’t have to eat at Mc Donalds that’s our choice. :rolleyes:

wow i guess i went to bed to early last night

For god sake the whole area we hunt is an attractant there is FOOD EVERYWHERE. :lol:

I think we should throw away all our guns and bows and modern technology and use people and fire to drive the herds over cliffs so we can hurt them and then go approach them and club them to death with sticks and rocks. Recurve bows are just too modern for me.

Guest 300ultramag.

A small strip of rock-scattered dirt-road, found my feet cutting new impressions into the freshly packed soil. My head is down, and I am surrounded by jet black pines that sway in and out of focus. I creep among them, like a maze I have traversed a thousand times, every step so thought out and calculated, not a sound is made. Moments later I feel the sensation of an old grainy pine tree at my finger tips. It is the tree I hand picked months earlier. It is an old pine tree. The appearance is breath-taking just the sheer mass of the tree confirms the tree is well over 100 years old. Scars cover the whole northern side of the tree. Tiny little colonies are scattered throughout the lifeless bark revealing a minute segment among, thousands of miniature ecosystems that seem to have been thriving for years, uninterrupted and seemingly untouched by mankind, until now.

I slowly begin to ascend towards the top of the tree, each limb and branch nearest the top is a grim reminder of my lack of sleep from the previous night.

After all it is archery deer season in Arizona. The moment has finally arrived and I am moments away from the morning sun, every last ray of sunlight will soon be slithering across the forest floor, igniting new life amongst all of Gods creatures that had been at rest while the blanket of night had kept them sound asleep. My final destination is soon reached; I have reached what seems to me the top of the world. My tree-stand had been among the freezing temperatures through out the night and is as cold as the nights snow fall. I settle into my new surroundings, all is quite.

As I sit facing to the east I am eagerly awaiting the suns arrival. Neither animal nor mankind can be heard from these heights, especially this early in the morning. All is still, no breeze, no singing birds, even the roar of the distant highway is dead quite. I sit motionless watching and waiting. From these heights a man can see for miles but as I see it, it is nothing but a sea of blackness that seemingly has no beginning or end just a pure jet black night. A gentle breeze can be felt but offers little to no comfort given the freezing temperatures. I sit in pure silence, waiting.

At last a dim light is finally revealed among the earths distant horizon. Like a brilliant fire fly dancing through the trees a single sunbeam is easily seen, amongst the sea of black. Finally making its way to my face I feel the warm winter sun. The unknown is revealed and I find myself emerged among all of Gods creation. The birds have started to sing and that cold gentle breeze has a slight hint of warmth behind it now and is welcomed. My whole body is reassured that the warm sun will soon blanket the earth and melt the light snowfall along with my near frozen extremities. A new glow is amongst the tree tops now it is a brilliant warm orange-red with a surrounding sea of bright greenish haze from all the pine needles.

The morning dew is upon me and slowly giving way to the cool morning air. I sit restless anticipating what the day will bring. Within the first hour of daylight a beautiful bull elk presents himself out of nowhere. Almost as if he had been set there out of the blue sky. The bull is massive and his physique makes it blatantly clear he is in charge of the forest .The perfect specimen of his kind. He stands foot steps away from the tree in which I am perched. Postured body and bulging neck muscles are basking in the sun as I watch in awe. The warm exhalation steaming from his snout floats across the woods like a mystical potion alerting all that of the lesser beasts of the forest of his presence. This gorgeous animal is not what I have aimed to seek out. Moments pass as the elk slips away amongst the tall trees.

The morning dew has evaporated completely and I find myself falling fast asleep. The quite lull of the forest breeze quickly awakens all of my senses. I remain motionless enjoying the new breeze in complete silence. How long had I fallen asleep? Slowly my eyes fixate on two new objects just below me. Slowly the two gray blurs come to focus as the sleep quickly leaves my eyes. Deer! Not only deer but bucks! My excitement is soon masked by the beauty and demeanor of the gentle creatures below. My bow rests at an arms-length away, as I reach for the bow my heart skips a beat as I now have a new pair of big brown eyes fixed on me. An Arizona black bear made his way to through the forest undetected by me and the deer below me. I sit motionless knowing the events unfolding below me are what every hunter dreams of. To my surprise the deer are not alarmed they seemed to be at ease with the giant black bear. In a very wobbly fashion the bear makes his way to the deer and I soon find out this huge black bear is merely a lost cub. I thought to myself, “How cute is that, two deer interacting with the lost little bear”. Seconds later the cub starts to paw at the deer in a playing fashion and the deer scatter! Crashing is heard all around as the two deer run for there life as the bear is watching in awe. The cub panics and runs the opposite direction. The bear, the two deer and I all go about our lives unscathed. The 100 year old tree begins to sway as it has for nearly a century. I climb down in awe, I had finally acquired what I had sought out to do; it was to just be, among creation. A small strip of rock-scattered dirt-road, found my feet cutting new impressions into the freshly packed soil. My head is down, and I am surrounded by jet black pines that sway in and out of focus. I creep among them, like a maze I have traversed a thousand times, every step so thought out and calculated, not a sound is made. Moments later I feel the sensation of an old grainy pine tree at my finger tips. It is the tree I hand picked months earlier. It is an old pine tree. The appearance is breath-taking just the sheer mass of the tree confirms the tree is well over 100 years old. Scars cover the whole northern side of the tree. Tiny little colonies are scattered throughout the lifeless bark revealing a minute segment among, thousands of miniature ecosystems that seem to have been thriving for years, uninterrupted and seemingly untouched by mankind, until now.

I slowly begin to ascend towards the top of the tree, each limb and branch nearest the top is a grim reminder of my lack of sleep from the previous night.

After all it is archery deer season in Arizona. The moment has finally arrived and I am moments away from the morning sun, every last ray of sunlight will soon be slithering across the forest floor, igniting new life amongst all of Gods creatures that had been at rest while the blanket of night had kept them sound asleep. My final destination is soon reached; I have reached what seems to me the top of the world. My tree-stand had been among the freezing temperatures through out the night and is as cold as the nights snow fall. I settle into my new surroundings, all is quite.

As I sit facing to the east I am eagerly awaiting the suns arrival. Neither animal nor mankind can be heard from these heights, especially this early in the morning. All is still, no breeze, no singing birds, even the roar of the distant highway is dead quite. I sit motionless watching and waiting. From these heights a man can see for miles but as I see it, it is nothing but a sea of blackness that seemingly has no beginning or end just a pure jet black night. A gentle breeze can be felt but offers little to no comfort given the freezing temperatures. I sit in pure silence, waiting.

At last a dim light is finally revealed among the earths distant horizon. Like a brilliant fire fly dancing through the trees a single sunbeam is easily seen, amongst the sea of black. Finally making its way to my face I feel the warm winter sun. The unknown is revealed and I find myself emerged among all of Gods creation. The birds have started to sing and that cold gentle breeze has a slight hint of warmth behind it now and is welcomed. My whole body is reassured that the warm sun will soon blanket the earth and melt the light snowfall along with my near frozen extremities. A new glow is amongst the tree tops now it is a brilliant warm orange-red with a surrounding sea of bright greenish haze from all the pine needles.

The morning dew is upon me and slowly giving way to the cool morning air. I sit restless anticipating what the day will bring. Within the first hour of daylight a beautiful bull elk presents himself out of nowhere. Almost as if he had been set there out of the blue sky. The bull is massive and his physique makes it blatantly clear he is in charge of the forest .The perfect specimen of his kind. He stands foot steps away from the tree in which I am perched. Postured body and bulging neck muscles are basking in the sun as I watch in awe. The warm exhalation steaming from his snout floats across the woods like a mystical potion alerting all that of the lesser beasts of the forest of his presence. This gorgeous animal is not what I have aimed to seek out. Moments pass as the elk slips away amongst the tall trees.

The morning dew has evaporated completely and I find myself falling fast asleep. The quite lull of the forest breeze quickly awakens all of my senses. I remain motionless enjoying the new breeze in complete silence. How long had I fallen asleep? Slowly my eyes fixate on two new objects just below me. Slowly the two gray blurs come to focus as the sleep quickly leaves my eyes. Deer! Not only deer but bucks! My excitement is soon masked by the beauty and demeanor of the gentle creatures below. My bow rests at an arms-length away, as I reach for the bow my heart skips a beat as I now have a new pair of big brown eyes fixed on me. An Arizona black bear made his way to through the forest undetected by me and the deer below me. I sit motionless knowing the events unfolding below me are what every hunter dreams of. To my surprise the deer are not alarmed they seemed to be at ease with the giant black bear. In a very wobbly fashion the bear makes his way to the deer and I soon find out this huge black bear is merely a lost cub. I thought to myself, “How cute is that, two deer interacting with the lost little bear”. Seconds later the cub starts to paw at the deer in a playing fashion and the deer scatter! Crashing is heard all around as the two deer run for there life as the bear is watching in awe. The cub panics and runs the opposite direction. The bear, the two deer and I all go about our lives unscathed. The 100 year old tree begins to sway as it has for nearly a century. I climb down in awe, I had finally acquired what I had sought out to do; it was to just be, among creation.

post-2006-1255448925_thumb.jpg

SO your saying that deer don't adapt and they all use man made water holes and trick tanks ..... The reason for the need of any water catchments in az and most other places is do to MEN changing the surrounding areas... divirting water, tapping springs and last time I looked water fell from the sky and bubbled from the ground.... Don't try to sell the fact that it is needed... nothing is needed ...The animals will adapt and have way before the practice of feeders and man made water sources ... water sources that most were never put in place with the thought of wild game in mind but to support the herds of cattle free grazing the lands througout Arizona .... AS HUMANS WE WANT IT and WE WANT TO CONTROL IT... AND AS LONG AS IT IS LEGAL IT IS RIGHT .... well remember one thing most of the actions taken by mortgage companies and the banking industry that screwed everyone in this country were legal .... SO DOES THAT MAKE IT RIGHT ....

The deer would adapt alright. They would adapt by dying. Several places around the state would be completely void of ANY deer if it were not for manmade water...

We feed the hummin birds every summer up at Alpine...hundreds of the little buggers, dive bombing each other for the sweet taste of artificial nectar, I would like to see G$F try to put an owners tag on one of those little guys..................baiting, feeding, alfalfa fields, corn fields, pile o corn, it truly does become the eye of the beholder..........

A small strip of rock-scattered dirt-road, found my feet cutting new impressions into the freshly packed soil. My head is down, and I am surrounded by jet black pines that sway in and out of focus. I creep among them, like a maze I have traversed a thousand times, every step so thought out and calculated, not a sound is made. Moments later I feel the sensation of an old grainy pine tree at my finger tips. It is the tree I hand picked months earlier. It is an old pine tree. The appearance is breath-taking just the sheer mass of the tree confirms the tree is well over 100 years old. Scars cover the whole northern side of the tree. Tiny little colonies are scattered throughout the lifeless bark revealing a minute segment among, thousands of miniature ecosystems that seem to have been thriving for years, uninterrupted and seemingly untouched by mankind, until now.

The morning dew has evaporated completely and I find myself falling fast asleep. The quite lull of the forest breeze quickly awakens all of my senses. I remain motionless enjoying the new breeze in complete silence. How long had I fallen asleep? Slowly my eyes fixate on two new objects just below me. Slowly the two gray blurs come to focus as the sleep quickly leaves my eyes. Deer! Not only deer but bucks! My excitement is soon masked by the beauty and demeanor of the gentle creatures below. My bow rests at an arms-length away, as I reach for the bow my heart skips a beat as I now have a new pair of big brown eyes fixed on me. An Arizona black bear made his way to through the forest undetected by me and the deer below me. I sit motionless knowing the events unfolding below me are what every hunter dreams of. To my surprise the deer are not alarmed they seemed to be at ease with the giant black bear. In a very wobbly fashion the bear makes his way to the deer and I soon find out this huge black bear is merely a lost cub. I thought to myself, “How cute is that, two deer interacting with the lost little bear”. Seconds later the cub starts to paw at the deer in a playing fashion and the deer scatter! Crashing is heard all around as the two deer run for there life as the bear is watching in awe. The cub panics and runs the opposite direction. The bear, the two deer and I all go about our lives unscathed. The 100 year old tree begins to sway as it has for nearly a century. I climb down in awe, I had finally acquired what I had sought out to do; it was to just be, among creation. A small strip of rock-scattered dirt-road, found my feet cutting new impressions into the freshly packed soil. My head is down, and I am surrounded by jet black pines that sway in and out of focus. I creep among them, like a maze I have traversed a thousand times, every step so thought out and calculated, not a sound is made. Moments later I feel the sensation of an old grainy pine tree at my finger tips. It is the tree I hand picked months earlier. It is an old pine tree. The appearance is breath-taking just the sheer mass of the tree confirms the tree is well over 100 years old. Scars cover the whole northern side of the tree. Tiny little colonies are scattered throughout the lifeless bark revealing a minute segment among, thousands of miniature ecosystems that seem to have been thriving for years, uninterrupted and seemingly untouched by mankind, until now.

The morning dew has evaporated completely and I find myself falling fast asleep. The quite lull of the forest breeze quickly awakens all of my senses. I remain motionless enjoying the new breeze in complete silence. How long had I fallen asleep? Slowly my eyes fixate on two new objects just below me. Slowly the two gray blurs come to focus as the sleep quickly leaves my eyes. Deer! Not only deer but bucks! My excitement is soon masked by the beauty and demeanor of the gentle creatures below. My bow rests at an arms-length away, as I reach for the bow my heart skips a beat as I now have a new pair of big brown eyes fixed on me. An Arizona black bear made his way to through the forest undetected by me and the deer below me. I sit motionless knowing the events unfolding below me are what every hunter dreams of. To my surprise the deer are not alarmed they seemed to be at ease with the giant black bear. In a very wobbly fashion the bear makes his way to the deer and I soon find out this huge black bear is merely a lost cub. I thought to myself, “How cute is that, two deer interacting with the lost little bear”. Seconds later the cub starts to paw at the deer in a playing fashion and the deer scatter! Crashing is heard all around as the two deer run for there life as the bear is watching in awe. The cub panics and runs the opposite direction. The bear, the two deer and I all go about our lives unscathed. The 100 year old tree begins to sway as it has for nearly a century. I climb down in awe, I had finally acquired what I had sought out to do; it was to just be, among creation.

WOW...feelings put into words....AWESOME!

Wow.... AZTROPHY ...you must be right with all the tanks that have been dried up the last few months including many many man made tanks the deer must just be dying out .... They must not be smart enough to find water somewhere other than a tank with a road leading to it.... what a shame it will be with so many deer just dying cause we have not put out enough feeders and water sources .... Shame on us .... you have me almost convinced to become a MASTER BAITER.... na not really

Wow.... AZTROPHY ...you must be right with all the tanks that have been dried up the last few months including many many man made tanks the deer must just be dying out .... They must not be smart enough to find water somewhere other than a tank with a road leading to it.... what a shame it will be with so many deer just dying cause we have not put out enough feeders and water sources .... Shame on us .... you have me almost convinced to become a MASTER BAITER.... na not really

I am sorry... I truely have to say that you, Str8Shot.... are one of the thickest knotheads I have ever had the misfortune to read the opinions of....

I have argued and debated with aniti's that were less "One way'd" than you... Kinda pathetic to me to see a fellow hunter that is so foul toward his own kind. I myself do not aprove of the use of feeders & timers, etc... but not for any reason enough to verbaly trounce my fellow hunters. If I owned enough private land I might have a different opinion.....

You sir... are a Master____________, yourself.... and I can plug in a handful of words that would discribe you and your rethoric to a "T"..... Burn on in your hateful little world....