Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

Bow slings

Does anybody use a bow sling, I have always just carried my bow in hand, now I am seeing these bow slings and thinking they might be worth a try, I know when hunting in az you can get into stuff so thick it is almost impossible to carry anything, if any of you have any info I would appreciate it.

I used a home made bow sling before any body made them. I took it to PSE in tucson and they said people would never use them for a bow. A year later they had a new and improved bow sling. I use them all the time. Or the bad lands pack that will pack my bow.

I don't use an actual bow sling, but I do use one of those loops or hooks that slides onto your belt. I got the idea from my quiver when I was practicing at the range or shooting in tournaments, and just took the hook off the quiver and placed it on my belt when I hunt. I think they cost around $10 and they sure make a difference if you're walking a lot.

I use the Balcom sling. It has a hook that is attached to the cable guard, which hooks onto a string and strap that goes over your shoulder. You can also tie a loop of string to your pack shoulder straps.

http://www.balcombowsling.com/

The belt hook comes in handy also.

Doug~RR

So they are helpful then. I had one in my hand that I was going to buy, but thought about it not being helpful so I put it back. I might have to go out shopping again.

ARIZONA GUIDE, what Badlands pack do you use? I was looking at the 2200 and think I will go ahead and buy it.

I, like TAM, use one of the ones that hooks to your belt and absolutely love it. They are very inexpensive and help a ton when you are walking a lot. I would definitely recommend one.

Bow holster at Cabelas

I got the one made by Primos for my pig hunt in January and used it for about five minutes and put it in my backpack. I hated the way it hung on my shoulder. I went back to hanging my bow from my hip. David

So far it sounds like the hip hook is the way to go as a sure thing, and the balcom doesn't look like a bad idea either. If I don't like it I could probably sell it to one of my brothers so it wouldn't be a waste. Maybe I am getting old not wanting to carry the bow in my hand all day.

I've used a bow sling for at least the last 15 years and wouldn't go without it. I've had the ones that attach to the bow limbs and haven't seen anything negative about it. Well, there was the one time at a shoot when the wind blew the shoulder strap in front of the arrow just as I let it go and, well that was exciting and scary at the same time. Since then, I make sure the sling stays out of the way when I want to shoot.

I use a sling because I carry 10x bino's.. ever try and look when holding them with one hand. It also free's up a hand for those steep climbs.

okay I have to wonder. I too carry 10x 42 binos, and like you said you need both hand to help keep them stable. I would like to have my bow in a safe spot but at the ready in a moments notice. I like the idea of the belt ones, but worry about having to always find the center of the bow in order to keep it balanced. This is why I was looking at the slings. But they seem like they would be a PITA to remove from a bow quickly. <_<

Bass -

I don't know about all bow belt "hooks" but mine is made out of a rubber material and the bow doesn't slip, I can be off center quite a bit before i have problems. I got mine from a buddy who got it at archery headquarters in chandler.

hmm thanks for the info. I might have to drive down there and check these out closer. I know I'm going to buy the Badlands 2200 pack, which will hold a bow. Of course I would only have my bow on the pack as I left (or returned) to camp when it was much too dark to shoot anyways. But don't think it would be smart to leave it on the pack as I was actually hunting.

I've got one made by Hunter Specialties that I bought about 10 years ago that attaches to the limbs of the bow. There are straps with buckles that go around the limbs and then the strap buckles with quick release type buckles that attaches to thoses. Are you confused yet...

Anyways, it just goes over the shoulder and should you need to shoot just release the buckles and your ready.

Just my $0.02. I think I paid like $8-$10 for it.

Matt