Sign in to follow this  
leland

09 achery bull

dang if you must start out like that, you must be in a different league than the rest of us! Very nice bull!

thanks for the replys. well, i waited along time to draw the tag. i had 13 bonus points when i drew it this year. over the years of waiting, i helped buddys in both 9 and 10. 9 is really the unit i have always loved, so i have spent a lot of time up there messing around, hunting, or horn hunting.

anyways, we spent a lot of time scouting, and found some good bulls. i was wanting to shoot a bull that would gross at least 360. we had bulls that were over and some that were close. there were 2 bulls that i had decided to hunt, so i wasnt gonna leave the area until i killed one of them, or went home empty handed. it rained hard the week before the hunt, and screwed up what we had going. it spread elk all over. we knew the bulls were still there but a little off from where they were a week earlier. i didnt want to change the original plan, so we stayed where we had scouted. it took a few days to figure it out, but we still couldnt find the bulls that i wanted to hunt. finally, 4 days into the hunt, we found one of the bulls i wanted to try and get. as the rest of you know, this year was slow, so tryin to call him in was out of the question, and so was sitting water. i decided i would go in by myself and try to get him to respond to me with soft cow calls, and nothin happend. now i had a bull that was ina thick jungle, that wouldnt bugle, and only came out when it was dark.

we decided to go spotlighting to try and find out where some of the other bulls were at, and maybe catch them in the mourning. we seen the bull i ended up shooting but only for a few seconds, then he was off into the jungle. one of the buddys that was with me went got some video of him the next afternoon. i watched the video a thousand times trying to put a score on him. i thought he would go in the 360s. i went and sat a water hole where he was watering, he came in and at 30 yards i put a arrow thru both lungs. he walked about 80 yards and it was over. after a few min. i walked over to him and realized he was a little bigger than i thought. i was freakin off by 20 inches.ha. at least it was lower and not higher. so, it was a great hunt, wish i could say i called him in, and i knew exactly what he scored, but it didnt happen that way.

funny thing about this bull is we never seen him. we were scouting the same place he was at after seeing some game came pics courtesy of mullins outfitters. im not complaining though. after this whole deal was over, i never thought i would kill a bull like this. seen some good ones get killed by other people, but never thought it would happen to me.

sorry for the short crappy story, there is a lot of stuff in between, but i cant type for that long.

i have to say thanks to some of my buddys. tim parrish, carl gray jr, danny lamburt, jason guerra, todd smith, and carl gray sr. also, to mullins outfitters, thanks for the game cam pics.

im not going to spell check either, so dont knock me for my horrible spelling.

thanks

leland

Freakin great bull! Congrats and welcome to the site.

Your apology accepted on a short crappy story and your little crappy bull elk. :rolleyes: Are you kidding me? :huh: How did you keep your calm when that bull came in? That is one of the nicest bulls I have ever seen on here. Congratulations and welcome to the site. I woiuld have been shaking to bad to pull off what you did. :)

TJ

Your apology accepted on a short crappy story and your little crappy bull elk. :rolleyes: Are you kidding me? :huh: How did you keep your calm when that bull came in? That is one of the nicest bulls I have ever seen on here. Congratulations and welcome to the site. I woiuld have been shaking to bad to pull off what you did. :)

TJ

when the bull came in i knew it was him, i could tell by his 5th. after that i wasnt paying attention to how big he was, i just wanted to make a good shot. i was shooting mourning and night a few months before the hunt started, so i think that helped alot having the confidence to make a good shot. it seems if you can eliminate the things that can go wrong, you dont worry about them, so focusing is alot easier. im not gonna say i wasnt excited, but i was pretty sure as long as i had a bull within to 50 yards, he was done.

leland

Well done. To kill a bull like that with a hard rut is not easy.

-Ryan

Well done. To kill a bull like that with a hard rut is not easy.

-Ryan

Holy Smokes thats a nice bull. Great job.