Sign in to follow this  
Desert Rat

Info on 6A Mule Deer

So I got drawn this year for Archery Elk 6A west and for Rifle Mule Deer 6A.

While I was up north scouting for elk, and also on my elk hunt I hardly saw any deer.... (Schnebly Hill/Munds Park area)

So my question is, where in 6A is the best area to go for my deer hunt. (Oct 23-Nov 5)

Thanks in advance.

Too many people in that area to do any good on deer. I would head south and stick to the ceder/pine regions. There are a lot of deer in that unit but there are a lot of people too--get away from the people.

I see deer when we go driving up to Bull pen and cedar flats. Seen a nice 4x4 last week up by the v-v ranch on the way to beaver creek. Thous I have seen going in to bull pen have been in the morning and evening by the water shad. The biggest one was a 3x2. but that was in the first part of march. Up on the flats I have glassed bucks and does down by the stock tanks in the canyons and along the bluffs. I have see some deer on the flats, but mostly Elk. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT.

Man you did good in the draw! Im no expert on the area but i have heard good things. Good luck and I will let you know if I hear any word on a spot.

I been hunting there my whole life...Great unit but lots of yahoos,hes right get a way from da peeps...i have a early coues hunt there,been scouting seen both types....Found a prettyfresh mulie shed that would blow ur mind,If i didnt know any better i would of thought i was in da kiabab......

You can check the fossil creek area coming in from the SW all the way to the power lines. We had the December Rut last year in this unit and saw both types of deer in this area.