Sign in to follow this  
azshtr

270 help

I'm looking for a light, flat shooting 270 cartridge for a white tail hunt. What do you guys use?

the 130 vital shok does actually work well.

Out of my .270, I used Federal Premium loaded with 140 Accubond. My gun wil put this in one hole. I love it!

i shoot 140 gr hornady interlocks, btsp, out of the rifle i shoot a lot. i have another that i shoot 130's from. my boy has a ruger featherweight and uses 110 interlocks out of it. on a coues deer, any decent bullet will work. i don't even remember why i started shooting the 140's but they work real well on anything. Lark.

Thanks for the replys. I wanted to try a flatter shooting lighter bullet for longer range trajectory.

Thanks for the replys. I wanted to try a flatter shooting lighter bullet for longer range trajectory.

My advice is use a range finder and forget about how laser like your trajectory is or isnt. Learn your drops and compensate accordingly. Bullets with higher BC's ussually drop a bit more due to a heavier weight and lower velocity, hence your quest for a lighter one. However higher BC bullets drift less in the wind even at the lower velocities. The wind is harder to figure than the drop. Drops are easy to overcome. Windage can make you look like a fool. It is better to have as many advantages as you can have for doping the wind.

If you want nothing more than a laser line trajectory cause it sounds cool, the 270 is the wrong choice to begin with. Use a flatter cartridge.

Just my .02

My advice is use a range finder and forget about how laser like your trajectory is or isnt. Learn your drops and compensate accordingly. Bullets with higher BC's ussually drop a bit more due to a heavier weight and lower velocity, hence your quest for a lighter one. However higher BC bullets drift less in the wind even at the lower velocities. The wind is harder to figure than the drop. Drops are easy to overcome. Windage can make you look like a fool. It is better to have as many advantages as you can have for doping the wind.

If you want nothing more than a laser line trajectory cause it sounds cool, the 270 is the wrong choice to begin with. Use a flatter cartridge.

Just my .02

Thanks for the info regarding windage. I switched to a boat tail from a corelock for less drop at 400 yds with the same grain. I know the range I can shoot, and the drop for given distances, and yes I do use a range finder and I practice. I was just curious what you guys were shooting. I haven't tried many different brands.

However higher BC bullets drift less in the wind even at the lower velocities. The wind is harder to figure than the drop. Drops are easy to overcome. Windage can make you look like a fool. It is better to have as many advantages as you can have for doping the wind.

Very well said .308Nut. People always forget about wind drift and that is a bear to deal with. That is why I always choose the heavier bullet. I really like the 150gr but thats just my opinion.

Do you reload? If you do I would use the 110 barns bullets tsx. It exit my wife rifle at 3350 fps. We sighted it in at 200 yrds. Groups of 1/2 inch.

Do you reload? If you do I would use the 110 barns bullets tsx. It exit my wife rifle at 3350 fps. We sighted it in at 200 yrds. Groups of 1/2 inch.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but what do you load it with, powder, weight, etc.

I reload for my .270 and love Barnes, but have so far only used the 130 gr X and TSX. Love to try new loads.

However higher BC bullets drift less in the wind even at the lower velocities. The wind is harder to figure than the drop. Drops are easy to overcome. Windage can make you look like a fool. It is better to have as many advantages as you can have for doping the wind.

Very well said .308Nut. People always forget about wind drift and that is a bear to deal with. That is why I always choose the heavier bullet. I really like the 150gr but thats just my opinion.

+1 I shoot a 150gr winchester supreme elite out of my 270. I shot my coues last year at 457yd no problem. The heavier bullet definitely helps with the wind!