Sign in to follow this  
AZantlerhead

December Tags

Just wondering why all the hype about these tags? I understand some bucks will wander about all day exposeing themselves from time to time lookin for does dureing the rut( lots of action) but other than that, I don't really get it :unsure: .

Personally I prefer hunting early seasons for high draw odds, low pressure( hopefully), and the challenge of finding a buck or group of bucks while theyre wits are still fully about them :ph34r: .

I see in the success rates on average about 60% :blink: or so of december hunts are succefull? Is this why? IMO I'd rather be drawn allmost every year just for the opportunity to go hunting and Haveing the satisfaction of defying the odds if I get one. If not..... i'll probly have another tag next season. Seems some guys on here are waiting A LONG TIME :blink: for those december tags. Is it really that much more magical or easier? I just figure in the time it takes me to get a december tag I can draw a handfull or maybe even ten years worth of early tags and hopefully fill most those tags. Or if not gain valuable hunting experience from time afield season after season anyway.

Average success rates for the hunts we pick are usually 15-30% with very high draw odds. But weve been beating the low success rates thus far, 100%.

I Have never been on a December( rut) Coues hunt so I'm asking in honest December coues ignorance :rolleyes:. I obviously prefer an early hunt. If you're a December tag kinda guy, Just why is that? Maybe i'll change my mind.

Dustin - you are right on - Dec tags are extremely overrated!!! keep putting in for Oct hunts. better yet, hang up the rifle and switch completely to archery hunting. ;)

I gotta say i agree! I love the early tags,and getting them every year.I always put a dec. hunt first choice but always get the early tag.These are the funnest animals to hunt by far,so if they want to give me a tag every year....perfect!!! Yeah its a little warm still,but thats arizona and im ok with that.Odd's are,if you find a buck theres probably more with him.Archery is not a bad racket eather.

I very much prefer the lower hunter density and cooler weather in the Dec hunts. I can't stand hunting in the heat. Plus the bucks are more active during the day so it's just more fun and it's a longer season, so you have more options for taking time off and getting to hunt. Although it seems the Dec hunts are a little early to hit peak of the rut, they generally are doing some rutting and hunting during the rut is much more exciting. Kinda like hunting elk in Sept vs Nov/December. It's a very different experience.

Amanda

When the AZ Deer Association surveyed about 6500 hunters about deer hunting in AZ, one of the questions asked them to rate their deer hunting experience during the Oct, Nov and Dec WT seasons. The graph below shows the results. The majority of Dec. hunters (81%) rated their Dec hunt experience as good or excellent. The majority of Oct hunters (62%) rated their Oct hunt experience as fair or poor. So the later seasons gave more hunt satisfaction and I believe it's due to the cooler weather, lower hunter density, longer season and that the deer are more active during the day.

post-1-1249430420_thumb.jpg

Amanda pretty much nailed it right on. I love not having to worry about a ton of people in the field. I also love being able to be in the sunlight and have it tolerable. Personally, there is nothing worse than sweating when I am trying to glass, I don't care for it one bit.

Another note, the deer are definitely more active and it makes for an easier time pickin' em' up. Add the luck of a couple inches of fresh snow and those lil' coues deer stick out like a sore thumb. I would 100% rather have a December hunt over any other for deer; its always a first choice usually followed by a November hunt, but this year I decided to put in for 2 December choices. Good thing I did. I just may start doing this from now on too. ;)

Awesome info Amanda!! It's why I love this site!!

But it seems they are rateing they're Hunt quality on how many deer they see, if they were uncomfortable or not and if they tagged out. I base my hunt quality on how challengeing it is and how hard I had to work on the hunt/ endure the terrain/ weather or whatever. And mentaly stay in the game no matter how tough the hunt gets, if i don't get one, Ohh well, It was a challengeing and rewarding hunt ranking very high in "quality" too me. The tougher the better. If I do get one, I'll Know it was hard earned makeing victory that much sweeter.

For example, If I went to to let's say Texas,Drove too and sat in a heated blind that rivals a small house, Was in the peak of the rut and saw 100 bucks before shooting a Booner that someone else has been watching for 8 years on the first morning. Then had a guide field dress it and haul it on a quad for me. Well, wheres the fun in that? See what I'm getting at?

IMO

Quality= Challengeing hunt.

But we all know a Coues hunt is a challenge( maybe the most challengeing) regardless of unit, time of year, weapon etc. etc.

Some folks should just stick to tennis and get they're meat at Mcdonalds.

IMO

sounds like you're ready to start spear hunting.

You have to understand, just because you have a December tag, you are not guaranteed a 110"+ buck. Yeah, chances for a big old boy are probably increased because he has suffered for a year with the Hawaiian disease of "Lackofnookie", but he is still a big old wise mature coues deer.

I have had one December coues tag. I managed to screw up that hunt by shooting a buck on the third day IN THE HEAD!

A coues hunt is still a coues hunt, which is always challenging. You still have to find the deer, you still have to kill the deer. Just because it is in December, doesnt mean it is going to be a slam dunk at all.

IMO

sounds like you're ready to start spear hunting.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , Is that legal? JK. I will be useing my ML on this years general hunt though. Is there a spearhunting record book? :huh: :lol:

If someone is looking for a challenge, then they need to spot and stalk a coues deer with a bow. A spot and stalk kill is the ultimate challenge. As for early hunts vs. late hunts, sometimes you can put in for a "97% draw odds" hunt for Oct. and not be drawn two years in a row. I and a couple friends have defied the draw odds and havent drawn when the stated odds were 97%. This year I put a late hunt as my first choice and drew. I am just pumped to have a tag..................Allen..........

Awesome info Amanda!! It's why I love this site!!

But it seems they are rateing they're Hunt quality on how many deer they see, if they were uncomfortable or not and if they tagged out. I base my hunt quality on how challengeing it is and how hard I had to work on the hunt/ endure the terrain/ weather or whatever. And mentaly stay in the game no matter how tough the hunt gets, if i don't get one, Ohh well, It was a challengeing and rewarding hunt ranking very high in "quality" too me. The tougher the better. If I do get one, I'll Know it was hard earned makeing victory that much sweeter.

For example, If I went to to let's say Texas,Drove too and sat in a heated blind that rivals a small house, Was in the peak of the rut and saw 100 bucks before shooting a Booner that someone else has been watching for 8 years on the first morning. Then had a guide field dress it and haul it on a quad for me. Well, wheres the fun in that? See what I'm getting at?

IMO

But we all know a Coues hunt is a challenge( maybe the most challengeing) regardless of unit, time of year, weapon etc. etc.

Some folks should just stick to tennis and get they're meat at Mcdonalds.

Equating a do-it-yourself Coues hunt in Dec with a guided Texas hunt is a bit of a stretch.

I absolutely agree that for me a quality hunt is a challenging hunt. The way I challenge myself if I have a Dec tag is to hunt most of the entire season for a certain buck or certain size buck. I pass on lots of bucks when doing that. To me that is challenging. Being in the right place at the right time for a particular buck is a lot more work (for me anyway) than just shooting any coues deer. And it often means coming home empty handed. Backpack hunting is what I LOVE and I really enjoy being out in Dec rather than Oct. However, this Oct I will be out sweating my butt off backpacking in somewhere to try for a monster coues.

If spear hunting isn't legal, perhaps you would love spot and stalk coues with traditional archery equipment. That's a challenge! I have yet to get one with a bow.

Amanda

Food for thought :huh: . Got my Coues fix for the day :) . I appreciate and respect everyones opinion and point of view ;) .

I've stated time and again on this site that any Coues hunt anywhere, in any season with any equipment is allways a challenge. I see this opinion is pretty much universal for us Coues hunters. Makes me proud to be one and share in the comradery of this site and it's Knowledgeable, skillfull and dedicated hunters of all levels and walks of life.

I am seeing how a December hunt could be highly enjoyable and a whole different experience. Thanks for filling me in. Can you get the same action on a OTC jan bow tag?

As for a challenge, a pope and younger coues is on my list( or any archery coues or Mulie for that matter), as well the ML world record coues spot( it's mine, don't even try it)!!!. And topping my "awards" B&C coues. with an all time record B&C buck. I've set my goals high and maybe in this life time I'll takle one of umm. These are personal goals. Notice i didn't enter the big buck contest last year. But guess i missed out on some nice gear!!! Dough!!! maybe the time will come again some day.

But many many people say any coues buck is a trophy, And I agree fully with that.

I know theres no compareing a DIY coues hunt to a guided texas ranch hunt. Just exagerateing how some would rather have a deer put in their lap than work for it. This of course does not apply to any Coues hunter anywhere.

I would have to agree with what Amanda said with a couple of thoughts of my own. It is just plain fun to be out there when they are chasin does and glassing all day without passing out of heat exhaustion. To me it is worth the wait, as long as there are other options available such as archery or hunting out of state. I have graduated beyond competing with other hunters for who got the biggest, I am only in competion with myself and the deer. I have had several un-filled December tags over the years and have never been sorry, the only regret was not spending more time hunting when I had them. Last but not least, having 25 other hunters is a lot nicer than 600!!! :) ;)

I agree with Amanda. Even though the rut does not hit its peak in December, the cooler weather is much better to hunt in, and the bucks are more active for longer periods . October is nice because you get the first crack at them, but its not much fun climbing a mountain when its hot, and the deer seem to bed up earlier. But if the deer are there in December, they are there in October. Very little hunting pressure is a huge plus.