coueshunter

Good problem 2 tags

Me personally would take an 85" archery buck over an 100" rifle buck any day of the week.

Brian

I will second that one!! In fact, if I don't arrow a buck in a few weeks, I am going to try using my archery gear during my October rifle hunt.

But would you take an 85" archery buck over a 110" rifle buck?

Mike

I would have to say yes only because I pretty much exclusively hunt archery only anymore for deer. :blink: Haven't rifle hunted deer in arizona in years. ;) I have a problem of using up my tag in January. The last rifle tag I had I believe was a December tag in '99. I killed a nice buck, but I passed up some nice bucks during the August archery hunt because I had the December tag. I regretted passing up them bucks ever since. I just get more of a high shooting a solid buck with my bow than a great buck with a rifle.

Brian

What's a rifle?

Mark

:lol: very funny. :lol:

The thing is, that, if I have a 85" buck at 20 or 30 yards and I'm already at full draw, buck unaware that in a second it will be recieving an arrow in the boiler room......................how can I be sure that in December I will find a 110 inch buck?

To me, a 85" buck with a bow is like killing a 120" buck with a rifle. Besides...............Allen, aren't you going to Mexico this January?? There you can get your 110" buck.

Ernesto C :)

Thats one thing about you standman ,you sure know how to arrow them there couesies in january ,no need to even look at a rifle ,heck why dont you just start spearing them since you get so close,seems like archery is too easy for ya.

Thats one thing about you standman ,you sure know how to arrow them there couesies in january ,no need to even look at a rifle ,heck why dont you just start spearing them since you get so close,seems like archery is too easy for ya.

I suppose if I could consistently "arrow them couesies" my game plan might change. Having a December rifle tag is a difficult thing to pass on these day's, especially if you don't have a junior to sign your tag to. :rolleyes:

I'd would have higher goals and use the rifle..... but that is just me. I have had a shortage of good rifle deer tags so I would make the best of that, since I can hunt with my bow any time and again in January anyhow. Also with a late tag.... as I have mentioned before.... "One Ten or Nothing, Baby!!!" ;) :D

100 with a bow or 110 with a rifle :)

both you and your boy should whack the first bucks you see with bone in Aug. help to minimize congestion and traffic for the rest of us with those Dec tags. remember, the Dec hunt will now be the 4th rifle hunt in that unit so the bucks will have been hammered pretty good and pickings should be slim. ;)

I'd would have higher goals and use the rifle..... but that is just me. I have had a shortage of good rifle deer tags so I would make the best of that, since I can hunt with my bow any time and again in January anyhow. Also with a late tag.... as I have mentioned before.... "One Ten or Nothing, Baby!!!" ;) :D

This is a good frame of thought. December coues tags are way too hard to come by anymore. I remember back a good bit ago, one could get a December coues tag with combined units. Matter of fact, I just pulled a mount off my wall as to the last time I had a December tag (other than this year!!!). Tag was back in 1996, Units 31 and 32. They don't come around that often anymore. If you are one that hunts for trophy deer, make it a monster if you take one during the archery hunt. Good luck either way!

As long as you've waited for that Dec tag, I would use the fall to scout and prep for your Dec and Travis' hunts, or go hunt bear.

I would say in the situation you are in to go with the hunt that you like most august,september hunt. or the december hunt in which your chances of getting a trophy is tremendously greater. And or you can go with what weapon you like most bow or rifle. Good luck!

Me personally would take an 85" archery buck over an 100" rifle buck any day of the week.

Brian

I will second that one!! In fact, if I don't arrow a buck in a few weeks, I am going to try using my archery gear during my October rifle hunt.

But would you take an 85" archery buck over a 110" rifle buck?

Mike

I would also say yes for a few different reasons. First, if I have a good buck within range during the archer season I am taking the shot. I don't have any idea what is going to happen later that year in December. I may not ever get the opportunity to take a buck. I had a unit 21 December tag 3 years ago. I put in there because it was close to home and my wife was due with our daughter that previous June. Figured December would be a better time to be gone than October, even though I had never hunted 21 for deer before. I never thought I would draw it, but I did. Anyway, I spent 15+ days in the field scouting and never saw a deer. I spent the first 5 days hunting and only saw one little spike. Had to come home to help with the baby and other obligations and I never did make it back out for various reasons.

I guess my point is that life just happens some times. If I have the chance to harvest a nice deer with my bow, I am taking advantage of that opportunity because who knows if I am going to get another one.

This is fun just reading what everyone say's. Most likely I will just plan on the Dec tag being my hunt since I have waited 6 years to draw a trophy tag. I will hunt bow, but with my son being the shooter. Unless a monster steps out, I will plan on killing a good buck in Dec............again, what a great problem to ponder...........Allen............

well I would say that if I were you I would take first nice one you see cause come october Im taking the one your gonna wish you had :P Good luck either way!!!

I have the same great problem :) . As my father has put it when i asked of this dillema." You go out hunting Whenever you can with Whatever weapon you can.Strive to be Be a great " Hunter" and try to be well rounded and skilled in all styles of hunting with all weapons". Probly the old Adapt Improvise and Overcome echoing in the ol' mans jarhead.

It seems most hunters are labeling themselves a " Bowhunter" or " Rifle hunter" These days :( . And trade one skill and knowledge of hunting style for the other. Anyone seeing this trend?

I want to be the best I can at all. I'm a " HUNTER" ;) I hunt every opporunity i have, wherever with whatever and whenever the opportunity arrises.

Just my .02cents