Sign in to follow this  
alexjh1

New Scope

Gonna stir the pit a little here, and just go out on a limb.

It seems like you bought the new scope with the BDC for the purpose of shooting long range. Great. Gotta upgrade gear to shoot farther and better. 100% fine, true and understood.

Anyways, dont think that just because you have this new scope and BDC in the scope that 500 yards is a chip shot with the BDC. I killed my last buck at 571 yards, and I had shot more than 225 rounds last summer through my new coues gun testing loads and testing the turrets. It takes a while to do the long range thing. Dont just jump right into it with the new scope and the VDC reticle

great point Casey, long range shooting will always be more about practice and knowing your equipment rather than just having it.

Really? Yesterday I saw a Remington commercial that said "rifle is hunt ready right out of the box"....since the scope was bore sighted, it shows a three shot pattern on paper....

One must practice long shots to be proficient at it, some people are inherently better shots that others.

I do not think alexjh1 ever made any reference to long range shooting...just he thought the BDC reticle was cool. Everybody starts somewhere.

Redman

my kids bought me a gradjiayshun present, a varix-3 leupold 6.5x20x40 with custom dots out to 500 and then it has a turret to go out to 1000. it's set up for the handloads i shoot in "Farkiller" my model 70 .300 mag. they even had my initials, brand and a elk engraved into it. talk about a slick scope. just got the new cant one piece long range base for it and mounted it up. probably shoot it tomorrow. ain't much safe in this state now. heck, i'm such a good shot i can probly just shoot a bull from my house in creen queek later this year. just send my boys up to pack it out. i'll probly hafta go to the state line to shoot somethin' in new mex tho. eyes ain't quite what they useta be. Lark.