Sign in to follow this  
GodIsGood

Rifle / caliber choice for youth elk

My son has a cow tag [thank You Lord] and I was wondering what weapon to use. In my closet the .222 & .25-06 are too light, but the 300 h&h mag will knock his socks off.

Bowsniper has offered to loan his youth .270 & I can use reduced recoil ammo... but I was also thinking of using an assault rifle like a PTR91 with hunting ammo and a modified magazine so it would be legal to hunt with. The gas system gobbles up a lot of the recoil and he really digs toting a battle rifle in the suck.

uziboy.jpg

Thoughts?

The one in the back is an HK-91 version known as Precision Target Rifle

IMG_0796.jpg

My boy took his elk last year with a 25.06 at 150 yards using 100 gr barnes triple shocks

use the 270, its my favorite gun, i am 5, i used it when i was 12, i think that would be perfect for him if its in youth size and he is small

Whats wrong with the 25.06? Seen 2 bulls go down with 115 gr ballistic tips. Just my $.02.

Mike

I agree....I have killed about 6 elk with my remington model 700 25-06 and another 3 with an old remington model 600 .243.....contrary to popular belief you don't need a cannon to kill an elk. My little sister is using a .260 in the Remington Model 7 (Shorter action, good for kids) and has killed 3 elk with it. Hope this helps.

I don't know why a 25-06 wouldn't work just fine. I had a remington model 700 in .308 done for my boy when he was 10, we just cut the stock down so it would fit him and had a muzzle break put on to reduce recoil. When he got older I just purchased a full size stock to put on the gun. Been workin great for 8 years, killed a couple of cow elk with it.

Okay even though I agree that the 25-06, .257 Roberts (have one myself), .243 and all the other lighter calibers being mentioned WILL work just fine, I have to say go the .270. Any time you can shoot a bigger slug at the same speed as a smaller one at a LARGE animal you will always be in better place.

You have to remember he is a kid and not an experienced hunter yet. He does not yet fully understand shot placement, angles, and all the factors that come into play when taking a shot. To me it is always a little extra risk when using a lighter bullet. Speed is not everything. What will happen when that 100 or 115 grain bullet hits that thick furred, heavy skinned, hard mussel elk. Will it retain enough weight and energy to get the job done if the shot is 6 inches off.

To me especially with youth I always err on the side of the bigger bullet. Its just a little extra insurance in a hunt of this young mans life.

It doesnt matter what caliber you use any bullet will knock any big game animal if you hit it in the right spot. There is nothing wrong with the 25-06 but i would prefer a 270 and put a limbsaver recoil pad and you are ready to go.

It doesnt matter what caliber you use any bullet will knock any big game animal if you hit it in the right spot.

My point exactly, IF YOU HIT IT IN THE RIGHT SPOT. If you don't hit it in the right spot I would much rather have the heavier bullet. Now I am not talking about a gut shot or something like that I am talking about if you miss the vitals by a few inches. In that case give me the larger slug every time.

The 25-06 with Nosler Partitions, Accubonds and Hornady Interbonds and the like will be fine. The smaller recoil in comparison with the larger calibers will promote better marksmanship. If you borrow the 270, he might want to practice with the "Reduced Recoil" ammo from Remington, as you mention. The youth model 270 may fit him better and help him find th etarget in the scope easier.

Here are some images to show him elk anatomy and shot placement

http://www.inberg.ca/hunting_essentials/el...t_placement.htm

http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detai...?productid=1602

http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/Dundee...otplacement.pdf