Sign in to follow this  
TREESTANDMAN

Sucess Spring Turkey

Went 3 for 3 on turkeys. Today was awesome, I called in three seperate toms and two are now in the freezer. My brother and I tagged out today and my dad got his opening weekend. The beards are 8", 8 3/4" and a 10". What a great year of turkey hunting.

Last evening, a friend and I went out to 6B where he had a tag. We knew about where they were roosting, so we set up 5 decoys nearby, built a blind under a juniper tree, and kept yelping in the wind (20-30 mph gusts), hoping to be in the right spot as they came to roost. I saw a gobbler moving through the pines about 100 yards out, but couldn't call him in. He gobbled periodically over a rise, and eventually came in strutting with a hen into the middle of the dekes. Bang-flop :ph34r: .

Congrats RedRabbit!

I had a gobbler strut and gobble right in front of my tent the other day. About 50 yards out. Was fun. I could hear him coming on a ridge and waited in the tent to see if he would come by. I wasn't hunting and didn't have any calls but did a couple yelps by voice and I guess maybe it pulled him down to me. Great to see him.

Amanda

Good job everyone. Got my gobbler the first 15 minutes of the hunt in April. Holy crap was it awesome. :ph34r: The hunt will be featured in a video that is anticipated to be released in July or August. Can't release the name of the video just yet...It's not complete. I took the wife, and she is now hooked on hunting. She even said we could go hunting on our anniversary this year! I'm a lucky man. We hit Big Lake that afternoon. We were able to connect with a limit pretty quick. Lotsa snow aroud the area. The next morning we made a few stops on the way home to call some dogs. We got four to respond, but only got three. The one I missed came in from behind and spotted us before I could get positioned in his direction. It was quite a trip. The gobbler weighed 18.5 lbs, and had a 9" beard. I'll email the pics to Amanda. They'll be posted soon. Take care of yourselves, and take care of a dog or two...it's fawning season.

Turkey huntin is a kick aint it? Congratulations to all you succesful gobbler bangers!

When I was a year or two out of high school, my former Jr. High biology teacher, Jim David, came by my house to show me a spring gobbler. This was about '75 or '76, and the spring hunt had only been open for a couple or three years -if I remember right.

Jim really got me excited and I started putting in for turkey.

Back in the day I could put in for any unit I wanted to and would get drawn every year. When in the field, I would often wonder to myself, "where are the other tag holders?" It was rare to run into anybody. Mike McKracken showed me the turkey huntin ropes, and I shared the knowledge with my close buddies, and we hammered a bunch of big ol' toms over the years.

Then about 15 years ago, the spring turkey hunt got real popular around Flagstaff. I stopped getting drawn every year, and when I had a tag, I was competing more with hunters than with the birds. It got to where I would have to locate 3 or 4 roost sites before the hunt so that MAYBE I could have one of them to myself for the first day or two of the hunt. One late evening (after gettin screwed around by other hunters for three days) I was sneaking up on a loud mouth bird to pinpoint his roost on the rim of Sycamore Canyon. I was planning to return in the morning in the dark to set up on him and call him in. As I was nearing the roost area to get a fix on what group of trees he was in, some jerk cockroached him right out of the tree! Startled me. Then pissed me off. Then adding insult to injury, I was rained on by a load of shot.

That did it. I quit puttin in for spring turkey. I had experienced a whole lot of years of prime hunting and killed a lot of gobblers. I was down right spoiled!

I just couldn't stand what it had become.

Last year I finally put in again. My brother and I hunted an area away from Flagstaff. It was fabulous! Got drawn again this spring in the same area. This place is just like the good ol' days around Flagtown, except maybe even better. Now I have fresh notches etched into my aged, and heavily carved up Lynch box call.

What a kick!! I love killing spring gobblers! Wana know what unit I'm huntin?

AIN'T SAYIN'!!!

Mike

My son Cole had a 6a tag and we gave it a good run but did not connect. Opening weekend they were henned up pretty good but still called in a nice tom for him but he made some movement at the wrong time and got caught. After the first weekend i started taking him up in the evenings and we would hunt in the mornings and get back in time for him to go to school, worked out well we got into birds each trip and he missed a shot with his 20ga. on the 2nd weekday trip, couple more close calls after that but never came together for him, he sure got some great expieriences this spring though, did'nt find any sheds, sure is a great hunt....CB1