Red Rabbit

How Would You Hunt This Coues Spot?

But, i would not suggest hunting this spot, it is STERILE! :ph34r:

I did glass it one evening while scouting from the place where the phot was taken. I saw one doe. This canyon comes off a main road, and with the mine road up it, I figured it would not be a hot spot to hunt, but a good one to use for this discussion.

If this was one of the two November hunts, going to the top and over, or further up the canyon to the left/northeast may be an option.

Clear big, uncomfortable rocks from the shady side of the truck, spotter ranges buck, lay down and adjust turrets on the .338 Lapua and squeeeeeze :ph34r: .

Seriously though, planning the attack is my favorite part of hunting Coues.

Personally, if this was an area that I knew for sure I was going to hunt during October, I would be out there every chance I had to look for the deer that live there, especially right now.

During that scouting time, I would first start glassing from where you took the picture from, moving to the left every so often to get a good view of the shaded area. At this time of the year, the deer are going to be out longer because of the cooler mornings. This should give you ample time to search.

If you spot a buck you like, and want to hunt during the season, then I would go back to that place as much as possible to see if indeed he or others live there. One of them will show up, and if water is in there, that is a plus.

Once I get a feel for the type of glassing I can accomplish from that paticular area, I would try to get a feel for where you are seeing the majority of the deer and begin processing their varied patterns of movement. You should be able to pinpoint a few areas they like to feed and bed in. These would be your target areas.

Now that you have a pretty good idea of patterns, you can begin a search for glassing spots up on that mountain which will give you good vantage points of the areas they like to feed and bed in, keeping in mind for places to shoot from, distances, and concealment. This would mean, I would take a few trips up that mountain and try out the pinpointed glassing spots.

Very soon prior to the opening day, you have to make a decision if you are going to glass from far back, or go to one of your pinpointed glassing spots near or up the mountain.

The only reason I would attempt to climb up that mountain on opening mornng is if I had a bad feeling human pressure will arrive and screw my plans up. In that case, if I knew my buck was in there and had a pretty good idea of his general hang out, then I would be right where I need to be when the shooting starts. and hopefully your the first shooter...

A really big buck doesn't need to wait for someone to walk or drive into him because at the first few rifle shots

close enough to penetrate his ears, he will get the picture real quick and drop down in the thickest cover he can find. That is how it normally works for me, I end up scrutinizing every wash or thicket for most of the hunt because of the unatural human element inserted into a natural setting, it is so disruptive to a deers patterns, and that is generally why I like to glass from a longer distance than alot of other guys. And each of us has our own methods based on our own trials and errors.

The final decision you will need to make is purely based on how you mentally calculate your odds, which will be a bit easier due the dilligence you put into your scouting. The more intimate you become with that mountain and surrounding country, the better your chances of taking a good deer, but the bottom line is: "Luck" sure comes into play and someone driving up that road could have been the best thing that ever happened to you in the end.

One thing I've learned by hunting the Oct. hunts, especially in areas that are hit hard with hunters is you need to be aggressive. If you don't hike up into that bowl and find that buck hiding in that little pocket on the north facing slope, somebody else will! Even if you are certain you are the only person for miles in there, somebody seems to always show up! And my definition of being aggressive is hunting harder and smarter, getting in earlier, hiking farther and glassing more effectively into the high odds areas......it works for me, take it for what it's worth ;)

Lots of great ideas here, thanks for sharing! JIM>

I really like Jims idea, it's what works for me. And if you have a Nov. tag you bess get out there on the Oct. hunt and have a good look at where all the other hunters are hunting.