Sign in to follow this  
IHunt2live

Brown elk sheds

This week was spring break from the UofA for me and what did I do, worked 75 hours in 7 days, most of that time was spent putting about 1500 miles on the work truck.

Wednesday I had to run up to the white mountains and I was able to get out and hike some hills for a couple of hours before sunset. I was walking in the bottom of a draw for about a mile when I stumbled onto this bull at about 60 yards. He took off into the trees with his horns still attached, there was another elk with him that I didn’t get a good look at but I’m pretty sure it didn’t have any antlers and thought it was another bull, since it was with this one, but had lost his antlers. Walked around that area for a while with no luck.

post-1770-1237505612_thumb.jpg

I was running out of light so I started to head back. I walked the same draw but up on the southern side for about 500 yards and this is what I found.

post-1770-1237505776_thumb.jpg

Didn’t believe my eyes at first but there it was. It was just inside of the trees from small meadow. I looked into the meadow and didn’t see the other side so I started circling up higher in the trees. I was about to give up then walked on the edge of the trees on the other side of the meadow when I looked in the middle on the field and this is what I saw, must have been behind the tree when I first looked.

post-1770-1237505838_thumb.jpg

I was pumped, not a monster but my first elk set, 2nd and 3rd shed, and a FRESH brown non the less.

post-1770-1237505902_thumb.jpg

Sweet finds! You'll always remember finding this set. Thanks for sharing the great field pics too. (I'm never composed enough to take the "as it was found" pic. I usually just leap on any shed I find. It's like Sasquatch is gonna jump out from behind a tree and grab it if I don't. Maybe I will be more calm, cool and collected if I find bone this year though. Hope springs eternal. :rolleyes: )

Great Job and thanks for the post!

Is that blood on the pedicles? ;) Must've been pretty fresh. Congrats, beautiful color on them still too.

Good eye, its blood. Its stained (dry) but I assume it was pretty fresh.

Awesome!