Sign in to follow this  
June

The Minnow would be lost.

Though you guy's/gals might find this interesting,

This was suppose to be my friend BIG John's maiden voyage with his vintage boat bought two weeks earlier. Can you guess what happen ,many clues in the pick. :blink: :blink: :unsure: I don't have photo shop so i hope the pic is acceptable. Don't know how to crop or edit. :angry: :angry: I think BIG John was a little upset that he couldn't go crappie fishing. :P :P

post-3200-1237251540_thumb.jpg

hello - got a little burned up i'd say - if it wasnt a gas leaking - i've seen bearings start a fire before - those be my guesses - total bummer fer sure ! -- Gary

Does not appear the boat was registered. Would not have gotten far anyway as no remains of an outboard or lower unit show prior presence. Suspect the burgers on the hibachi next to the gas tank are thoroughly cooked and no danger of e-coli remains.

Oh, he spilled open his bassing tackle box and all the plastic worms dissolved his boat. I've seen that happen to the plastic lures in my tacklebox.

I know a guy who lost his boat to a fire when he was driving down the highway. The metal fish basket came across the terminals of a battery and started a fire.

One also hears of the driver tossing a cigarette and it ends up in the boat being trailered behind.

Guest 300ultramag.

clearly the impeller was bad. If you cant tell that from the picture well....

the ac compressor caused the engine to overheat and set the whole thing on fire. oh wait, those are motorhomes in the salt river canyon.

Thanks on playing , Some guesses have been hopping in the right direction. (Hint). Remember this boat was originally bought somewhere in the sixties from SEARS of all places!! . I guess back then you could order a boat. And Big John well let's just say he was Big John. I'll give it a little while and then let the cat loose and tell the full story, if your interested. Richard

Red Rabbit, The driving down the highway and cigarette being tossed was exactly what I told Big John when he rolled into work and told the story.

Well this happen several years back at rosy. When he bought the boat it had been siting out for sometime but otherwise in really good shape. It was one of those two seater's that had two small bench seats. More for taking you family on a ride than a fishing boat. At the rear of the boat was a small storage area for an ice chest and where the fuel was stored. Two 5 gallon plastic gas containers. I remember the previous owner specifically telling Big John that he should replace them as they had seen a lot of sun. I think that went through one ear and out the other cause he never replaced them. He did, however, go out and buy one of those big ice chests that could hold something like 150 cans of his favorite beverage. :lol: :lol: Anyways, So a couple of days before the trip Big John approaches me and asked if I wanted to tow his boat and go fishing. From the get go I had that weird feeling and for the only time in my life I actually turned down a fishing trip. :unsure: :unsure: Well, when Big John and his motley crew arrived at rosy very late at night. The lake was so low that the ramp at windy point was completly out of the water. They were told that they would need to head over to the other ramp. Well someone at this time discovered that one of those five gallon plastic containers had ruptured on the trip and all the gas was lying in the bottom of the boat. <_< <_< . Well they still had one container full ,so they just open the drain plug and got as much gas out as they could. Now here's where this story got interesting. What I was told is that as they were heading back up the highway to the other ramp. They went over that cattle guard up the hill and the next thing they new someone was yelling from the back of the truck the boats on FIRE!!. They quickly pulled over and had some furious moments trying to get the trailer off the hitch. All they could do now was watch. At the time i don't know how far the nearest fire department was but they said it burn for about a hour before they showed up. Now remember that big ice chest I mentioned earlier filled with all those cans. well they started exploding and shooting out of the fire like little rockets for several minutes. The words from the sheriff that had responded was "You boys sure had a lot of beer in their didn't you". Well this picture is all that's left of Big John and his boat. They left the boat and trailer at the rosy dump. They all came to the conclusion that the safety chain must have caused a spark as they went over the cattle guard. I'm still sticking to the cigarette being tossed myself. Man I'm glad I wasn't there. :ph34r:

In a way it isn't funny because of the loss of property but on the other hand, it is hilarious reading!

I lost a fifth wheeler to a fire a few years back on my way Javelina hunting, burned to the frame right there on I-10. I caught it soon enough that I was able to get inside, close my eyes, hold my breath and start throwing things out the door. Which was all my hunting clothes, my bow and arrows, binos,tripod and video camera.

My wife joins me on most of my hunts, I told her I got all the important stuff but her clothes and make up were still in there! When the DPS and Fire Department showed I was video taping the fire, DPS was a little surprised at that but there wasn't any thing else to do.

Next day I had to take my wife shopping first thing, then I killed a pig that afternoon and we came back to Phoenix.

One of our more memorable hunting trips but I don't want another one like it!