Shooter McGavin

Bull elk tag filled

Well my oldest son was drawn 3 yrs ago for 6A bull and couldn’t connect. He said if I were to get drawn again his tag would get filled, well he is a man of his word. Friday was a very slow day. Saw nothing. Saturday morning was different. Had a shot at 20 yds when this bull came in, unfortunately missed as it busted us. He was in awe to see an animal that large that close to him. He was shaking so much, I think I was kind of giggling watching him hold his bow. Chased that herd all morning, but cold never get another shot.

Sunday went to the same spot and chased a herd all around, shot at a massive 6x, put his pin on 60 yd and shot over its back, after we ranged the tree it was standing next to it was 50 yds. He was bummed.

Monday went to a new spot, were on bulls in the morning but not close enough. That evening got on 2 more bulls and was able to fling an arrow at 30 yds but hit a tree.

Tuesday morning walked up to a small ravine and a huge herd was walking up to us, we stopped. He drew his bow back and out walked this spiker, before I could say anything about the 4x behind it he let it rip. It happened so fast I didn’t know what to do except ask, which one did you hit? He said the spike. We found blood immediately and found the bull piled up between 2 trees. High 5’s and hooting and hollering. As we were cleaning he asked I want to I find my arrow, I said how you shot it, it may still be in him, he said no way…..well sure as heck it was lodged right in him in the body cavity completely buried.

1st bull down for him and our whole family. Off to Casey’s and a nice lunch somewhere in Flag.

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6712.jpeg

IMG_6711.jpeg

Edited by Shooter McGavin
Spelling
  • Like 43

3 hours ago, Coueser said:

Congrats!

Did he take a frontal shot for the arrow to end up where it did?

He did, center punched him right between the front legs.

• Like 2

Memories, and delicious tender meat! Awesome! One of my best memories is watching my dad shake like a leaf when he had a 270" bull ag 15 yards. 

• Like 2

He’s on cloud 9. He was asking me why people would want to hunt elk with a rifle, I just laughed and said because we can and not everyone is a Robin Hood.

• Like 3

Way cool congrats on a great hunting trip!!  He will never forget get it.

28 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

He’s on cloud 9. He was asking me why people would want to hunt elk with a rifle, I just laughed and said because we can and not everyone is a Robin Hood.

Sounds like he’s asking the right questions.

• Like 2