Adicted

Daily elk hunt update!! Sons 5bs bull

13 minutes ago, Simple Hunter said:

Are they going to water in the afternoon/evening?  Or is that what you meant by not working?

Sat water 6 times and they hit after dark where i been

• Like 1

Well guys.  No elk, no bugles.  
back at camp. Sipping some buffalo trace and knees blown out. Gonna ice them now.  Hiked over 40 miles in a week. We have 1 more day left. Gonna give it our best. We will be on elk in am. Just have to cut them off asap. Forest is so fukin loud though. 

super frustrated and tired.  U guys want to hear the crazy part.  Even after all this. Feet hurt, knees hurt, crispis blown out, my other son starts his 11m archery cow tag friday.  How the heck can i do that.  I need mammason to come give massage. Im blown out.  We love our kids and go full throttle. My dad was a marine and so was I.  I remeber growing up my dad said quit being a pus$y. Be a man and stay at it. Pops was in vietnam and lost his 2 best friends first tour by bouncing betties. (If u know u know). He reminds me of that all the time. Which means enjoy life. So!!!!  Back at it in the am.  320am is the alarm. 

• Like 12

Best  thread  of the year!!!  I did an 8 Day elk hunt in a wall tent and it kicked my as!!  Best hunt of my life with my Son and his friends plus my bro from Washington.  Rootin for you Get R Done!

• Like 1

You got the boy a shot man, that's awesome! Hit or miss you made him a better hunter if he gets one or not!

Not saying give up but, take care of you.

This is a great thread!!!! Been following and can’t wait for a update on final day success.

Dang, that looked like a good setup and distance. Hope there is a second video and shot or keep at it, not over until sunset!

12 hours ago, Adicted said:

I need mammason........

I haven't heard that phrase since I left Bragg almost 20 years ago. Thanks for that and thanks for this thread. Good luck!

• Like 1

Ok here we go.   First started off last night when some whiskey and chipotle didn't mix well.  Up at 130 am with the chits and never went back to sleep.  Alarm was at 3 am anyways so let’s roll. 

first stop was where yesterday  morning got on some good bulls. There is a meadow and spring there year round so always elk. Well not today. Some turd decided to camp right on it.  No elk, no bugles.  Crap!!  Chipotle dump again

get in truck and decide to haul as$ to where they were talking a few days ago where he got his first shot.   Nada there also. dang Chipotle again!!

we then decide to go where we started in the beginning where one of my first videos of that nice 6 pt.  As soon as we pull in, 2 bulls screaming. Game time!!  We make it that way and see the first bull.  Solid 6 moving left pushing. 2 nd bull to the right screaming cant see it.  We go for the left.  Now about 200 yds away , but we getting behind. They r on a mission to bed. I try and catch up and throw a challenge bugle, he screams back. I get closer.  He bugles, and so do i. He then does again and goes slightly down hill and i lose sight. We r hustling to get close since they cant see us and POOF!!!! Never heard or saw him again.   Bull behind us bugles.  Lets get in front. We head to his fence line where he crosses and long story short, never saw or heard. Crap!!  Back to truck

well chipotle struck again and we r gassed. Cant quit. I tell my son let’s go to the bedding area where we went before and jumped a bull.  Big hill, just sucks but we know they r there. Start hiking in this ridge and head down at first. Thick and quiet.  I look up and 5pt bull walking at us but little angle down hill.  It’s really thick in there. I find a shooting lane. Son gets ready, kneels due to branches.  Here he comes!! In the open cow call, he freezes broadside. Range 60 down hill.  Aim, fire!!!!!  Just over back. Son forgot to adjust for down hill shooting. Probably should have put his 40 on him but he didn't.  Im just as mad at myself for not telling him.  Arrow went about 6” over back. Bull gone. Devastation sets in. We just went over downhill shooting 2 days ago also but I should have told him. Fuk!!!!    One last chance. Sitting water where those bulls were screaming this morning. Need a nap first. 

• Like 5