Sign in to follow this  
jessefrost32

Bear Hunting Units

I am planning to go on an OTC Black bear hunt the third week of Oct. I want toi know where the best places to have a successful hunt are. This is my first year hunting Black Bear. I do not care about trophy or not, I just want meat. I have done some looking at 19B, 17B and 17A. Out of these options which would be the best? The more detail in the description the better. Like I said, I am a novice to bear hunting. Or if someone is willing to go with me and teach me, I will split the meat. 

The August hunts are best if the prickly pear has fruit on them,you can glass them up pretty easy. By the time October rolls around the fruit is usually gone and the bears with it. They'll be eating acorns, Manzanita, cedar berries and harder to find at that time.the better units are 6a,22,23,24a. I would try to go in one of those units next August, start scouting and looking for prickly pear fruit towards the end of july-mid August in middle elevations

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 1:42 PM, jessefrost32 said:

I am planning to go on an OTC Black bear hunt the third week of Oct. I want toi know where the best places to have a successful hunt are. This is my first year hunting Black Bear. I do not care about trophy or not, I just want meat. I have done some looking at 19B, 17B and 17A. Out of these options which would be the best? The more detail in the description the better. Like I said, I am a novice to bear hunting. Or if someone is willing to go with me and teach me, I will split the meat. 

If you only want the meat, buy some beef from the grocery store, it will be cheaper and taste better. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@jgraffaz I came here looking for advice, not idiocy and sarcasm. Beef is not cheaper, nor does it taste "better". I love to hunt and I love to eat what I hunt such the same as the forefathers of hunting in the country. Though they may not have had a choice, I can guarantee they would not buy the beef unless they absolutely had to.

My bears tasted great, but my grass fed cow was cheaper and tasted even better. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jessefrost32 said:

@jgraffaz I came here looking for advice, not idiocy and sarcasm. Beef is not cheaper, nor does it taste "better". I love to hunt and I love to eat what I hunt such the same as the forefathers of hunting in the country. Though they may not have had a choice, I can guarantee they would not buy the beef unless they absolutely had to.

I don’t think anyone was giving you sarcasm. Beef is way better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The advice  on 6a,22,23 is solid . I've hunted all of them and ran across  bears.  Unit22 and 23 usually  by surprise.  Missed  a bear in 22 archery  hunting.  Just over the top! . Walked in on a sow and cub in 23 once . Glad she went for her cub . I had a nice bear on camera in 23 a few years back before  the camera ban . And  calling turkey in 6a had a bear at 20 yds I didn't  have a tag for . I won't  make that mistake  twice . If it's open during  turkey I get a otc  tag .

On 9/3/2024 at 8:32 PM, jgraffaz said:

If you only want the meat, buy some beef from the grocery store, it will be cheaper and taste better. 

was thinking the same thing. 

1 hour ago, jessefrost32 said:

wtf are you going on about dude? you sound kinda crazy man.

also every forefather didnt have a cow.

• Like 1

Unless you get lucky and kill one your first time out, beef truly is cheaper. I like the taste of bear if prepared properly but be prepared if you add up the time and fuel it takes to get your first bear it will be into the hundreds, if not thousands per pound. 

Find the food sources that time of year. Usually acorns etc.. I don't know anything about the units posted, glass or calling is most productive. Most seasoned bear hunters prefer not to share spots with new hunters because the new hunters go in and kill any bear which often can be a sow or young boar and prematurely shut down units. Bear is not game animal that many people hunt JUST for the meat. 

• Like 3

AND you have only been on here for 3 days!

Our “forefathers” were not begging for hunting spots on the internet. Beef is in fact hundreds of dollars cheaper a pound (you wouldn’t know since you’ve never killed a bear). If you like to hunt I get it, but a bear isn’t the animal to go and shoot for meat. You hunt bears for the sport of it and the trophy of it and the meat is a bi-product (which I enjoy). If you are a meat hunter you should hunt cow elk. The last thing we need is more guys bear hunting ready to ground pound every single cub and 70 pound sow on the mountain. Bear hunters should try and be selective for mature boars. And I’m pretty sure our “forefathers” killed bears because they were killing their cows and not eating them. It’s way easier to kill a deer or an elk and it tastes better too. No need to get offended that people are teasing you because you can’t figure out hunting on your own like most good hunters have. Did you vote for Biden? 

• Thanks 3