Sign in to follow this  
jessefrost32

Bear Hunting Units

On 9/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, jessefrost32 said:

I am planning to go on an OTC Black bear hunt the third week of Oct. I want toi know where the best places to have a successful hunt are. This is my first year hunting Black Bear. I do not care about trophy or not, I just want meat. I have done some looking at 19B, 17B and 17A. Out of these options which would be the best? The more detail in the description the better. Like I said, I am a novice to bear hunting. Or if someone is willing to go with me and teach me, I will split the meat. 

I went back and read the original post.....and honestly I don't know anything about those three units but none of them are even on my radar for bear.............

To clarify to all of you that like to troll for no absolute reason, there is in fact a reason I am asking for hunting spots. 1. I am a medically retired combat veteran who cannot access certain areas due to limitations. (wounded warrrior project hunts, yes I know). 2. I am not going to kill a sow, or a cub, or a small bear. That is not the intrinsic thought behind that statement that I made., Obviously I want to kill a boar of good size because more size equals more meat. I stated that I am not hunting for a trophy because I do not want to be labeled a "trophy Hunter" in a negative conotation. 3. I am not offended by the teasing, I could care less, it is just unneccessary and a waste of time. Which I am now wasting to elborate on reasoning for even joining this post thread which seems to have been a mistake. However, I would like to thank those of you who were kind enough to respond in a respectful manner instead of playing keyboard warrior. And no @jgraffaz I did not vote for Biden, however with your maturity level, I think you should wait a few years before making the decision to do so yourself.  

34 minutes ago, jessefrost32 said:

To clarify to all of you that like to troll for no absolute reason, there is in fact a reason I am asking for hunting spots. 1. I am a medically retired combat veteran who cannot access certain areas due to limitations. (wounded warrrior project hunts, yes I know). 2. I am not going to kill a sow, or a cub, or a small bear. That is not the intrinsic thought behind that statement that I made., Obviously I want to kill a boar of good size because more size equals more meat. I stated that I am not hunting for a trophy because I do not want to be labeled a "trophy Hunter" in a negative conotation. 3. I am not offended by the teasing, I could care less, it is just unneccessary and a waste of time. Which I am now wasting to elborate on reasoning for even joining this post thread which seems to have been a mistake. However, I would like to thank those of you who were kind enough to respond in a respectful manner instead of playing keyboard warrior. And no @jgraffaz I did not vote for Biden, however with your maturity level, I think you should wait a few years before making the decision to do so yourself.  

🤣

33 minutes ago, jessefrost32 said:

Thank you for your service, and I really mean that

BUT again bear hunting isn't normally for those who want the meat. Bear can be found anywhere and sometimes close to roads but they much prefer the deepest, thickest hillsides, mountains and is not very conducive to someone that cannot access certain spots.

Good luck. Bear hunting is tough hunting usually. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jessefrost32 said:

@jgraffaz I came here looking for advice, not idiocy and sarcasm.

Well there’s strike 1 and 2 right there 🙃

I wouldn't get to worked up by some of the responses here. On any hunting forum or page asking for specific spots is generally faux pas, especially when it's your first post. Take the time to contribute content here and people will be more willing to help out. I think the hunting knowledge and general caliber of people is better on this forum than any other. As far as bear, I would stay out of 19b unless the prickly pear crop is good. There are some awesome slopes to glass in 19b that are loaded with prickly pear. There also that big canyon over by Drake that I'm sure hold bear but I've never hunted it. Personally I would suggest the 17s. Both my bears came out of the 17s. I think the state record actually came out of there. With the units you are asking about why not look at 20a as well. There are a lot of bears in there too. The easiest way to get a bear is to sit water. Just find a tank with sign and sit it. Preferably multiple days in a row. Kill any legal bear you want, especially your first. Most those units never hit their quota. Even a small sow is more meat than a deer. Also my last big bear would be the closest north American game to beef I have ever shot. My family has absolutely devoured it. I have antelope, deer,elk, and bear is the first choice in our household. 

original_c45dbce1-302a-4eff-bbde-0861c4ee5738_PXL_20220527_165737351.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4