UggRedBilly

What type of shot should I expect? Archery

I've got a archery elk tag in 6b for cow elk in a couple more weeks. I've been practicing a lot and I feel great up to 60 yards. But I can shoot 80 or 90 also when I practice too. 

How far of shots has anyone else taken on the early elk hunts or anything I should expect when making that shot? How far do you guys normally end up shooting from? My arrow setup weighs 440 grains and my broadhead is the Magnus Stinger 4 blade 125 grain. 

Seemed like a few years ago when I had a tag, seemed like 50-70 yards was as close as I could get when calling them in solo. 

• Like 2

if you do it right there is no reason at all to not be able to get them inside of twenty yards.  Understanding elk behavior and language is key. proper set up, and pay attention to wind.  

being proficient out to 60 makes the 30 a layup.   

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

if you do it right there is no reason at all to not be able to get them inside of twenty yards.  Understanding elk behavior and language is key. proper set up, and pay attention to wind.  

Only a few know how, and I'm not one of them. 

52 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Sweet. I usually like to sneak closely to them during the rut in past years because it's fun. I can usually get around 40ish yards before them really picking up that I am there. So I hope that is the case too. I'm really excited to have my first tag in tbe rut. Even if it's just a cow tag!

I've only killed 2 bulls with my bow. 

48 with a 16th follow up at 55 because he had no idea what happened. 

Then another bull at 56.

• Like 1

I know all these awesome dudes out there shooting 80+ for elk but too many variables for me.  One step at that distance after you let the arrow fly that’s a 3’ change in target.  Then you have wind and adrenaline and deflections and everything else.  
I’ve killed 8 archery elk between 18 and 52 with several in the 40-45 range that seems to be the sweet spot for me anyway. Like AZ said shoot 60 so 30 and 40 feels like a lay up. Make sure to practice split distances (like 35 and 45) and from your knees would be my advice.  
good luck! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jdown said:

I know all these awesome dudes out there shooting 80+ for elk but too many variables for me.  One step at that distance after you let the arrow fly that’s a 3’ change in target.  Then you have wind and adrenaline and deflections and everything else.  
I’ve killed 8 archery elk between 18 and 52 with several in the 40-45 range that seems to be the sweet spot for me anyway. Like AZ said shoot 60 so 30 and 40 feels like a lay up. Make sure to practice split distances (like 35 and 45) and from your knees would be my advice.  
good luck! 

Thank you! I've been shooting at that 3d range over near Rio salado and that has been going suoer great too. So I'm feeling much better about it now

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 8:29 PM, UggRedBilly said:

I've got a archery elk tag in 6b for cow elk in a couple more weeks. I've been practicing a lot and I feel great up to 60 yards. But I can shoot 80 or 90 also when I practice too. 

How far of shots has anyone else taken on the early elk hunts or anything I should expect when making that shot? How far do you guys normally end up shooting from? My arrow setup weighs 440 grains and my broadhead is the Magnus Stinger 4 blade 125 grain. 

The true reason we shoot be deadly is at 60 is to make 25 automatic!! I have called in dozens of bulls to hunters and the urge to “get an arrow in one” is strong. But I strongly encourage passing on long shots and chip shots always follow. For cow it is a no brained for me…enjoy some rut action but sit water. They have to drink daily and you will get a much better shot in a controlled environment. I have been a part of over 10 elk bow kills in last 5 years and furthest shot was 35 yards…..all recovered. 

Be patient….good luck 👊👊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Markleo21377 said:

The true reason we shoot be deadly is at 60 is to make 25 automatic!! I have called in dozens of bulls to hunters and the urge to “get an arrow in one” is strong. But I strongly encourage passing on long shots and chip shots always follow. For cow it is a no brained for me…enjoy some rut action but sit water. They have to drink daily and you will get a much better shot in a controlled environment. I have been a part of over 10 elk bow kills in last 5 years and furthest shot was 35 yards…..all recovered. 

Be patient….good luck 👊👊

That is the plan! I like sitting water from afternoon to dark. Should I make it all day now?

2 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

That is the plan! I like sitting water from afternoon to dark. Should I make it all day now?

I think your plan is great! Sitting water can be mind numbing so I like to mix it up with chasing bugles, still hunting, etc. I have often experienced good morning hunts at water as they leave feed and head to bedding but I have experienced evening being a bit more consistent. 

6 minutes ago, Markleo21377 said:

I think your plan is great! Sitting water can be mind numbing so I like to mix it up with chasing bugles, still hunting, etc. I have often experienced good morning hunts at water as they leave feed and head to bedding but I have experienced evening being a bit more consistent. 

Sick man! Thank you man!

I try to be able to shoot 70-80 yards. That will make the 30-50 yard shots easy. 

If you need help picking spots to hunt in 6b feel free to message me. Hunted archery elk in there the last few years.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 11:08 PM, AzDiamondHeat said:

I'm with him.  I've hunted 6B many times over the years and have hardly ever had a problem getting inside of 40 yards when conditions lined up.  We had one young, barely-erupted-spike bull (yearling) come walking in to 12 yards.  My buddy whispered "His junk is bigger than his antlers" and the poor bull was so confused at the sight of two grown men laying on the ground shaking from trying to stifle the laughter because the big bull was above us as we were calling for another guy.

• Like 2