Tbar

August Coues deer. Water or Game trail???

I have come across a few nice bucks I would like to arrow this August. Can’t decide if I should set up a blind near the game trails I see them occasionally taking or the waterhole about 3/4 miles away. Thoughts??

• Like 1

Depends on how dry it is.  If it hasn't rained in awhile I'd probably setup on water.  Good luck post pics if you get one.

• Like 1

If you set up on the water tanks you might have some competition.  If you are seeing them on the trails that is where I would set up.

• Like 1

I avoid water (springs, tanks, ponds, ect), good way to get your stand stolen or have a negative encounter with some other CWT member. Set up in choke points, saddles, near an active bedding area.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Depends on the unit.  If there's been fresh rain I would not sit water.  I'd glass first light and last light and see if you can get a feel for what they are gonna do and ambush.  But imo it's best to watch a couple days and see what they are doing before actually trying to make a move.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZLance said:

I avoid water (springs, tanks, ponds, ect), good way to get your stand stolen or have a negative encounter with some other CWT member. Set up in choke points, saddles, near an active bedding area.

I agree! I actually had a blind stolen after I placed it at a water hole. I figured your average hunter would have left it there. I think i might go with the game trail. He tends to take the same path every time I see him 

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Depends on the unit.  If there's been fresh rain I would not sit water.  I'd glass first light and last light and see if you can get a feel for what they are gonna do and ambush.  But imo it's best to watch a couple days and see what they are doing before actually trying to make a move.  

I was planning on heading out this weekend and it looks like there’s rain in the forecast these next couple days. Hopefully he continues to take the same path where I have been seeing him. 

20 minutes ago, Tbar said:

I was planning on heading out this weekend and it looks like there’s rain in the forecast these next couple days. Hopefully he continues to take the same path where I have been seeing him. 

Coues get a lot of their moisture from their feed. Don't rush it. You seem like you are already zeroed in. Watch him and have a solid plan before going for it.  Imo guys see a buck and rush in which does work sometimes but it can ruin your chances of you blow it.  Be patient. Good luck man I hope to see a story posted